Part 8: The Unsettlement

A few days have past since the others shared their plans about the time heist

A few days have past since the others shared their plans about the time heist. Since I last spoke with any of them. Since I argued with Steve.

Nat was self-obliged to keep me updated through text messages, which is the only reason I know they got Bruce on board and they're now working on the semantics at the compound. I've been aware that they were working on getting everyone on board. That's if they can get them to agree to the risks unlike me or merely if they're available. I just know a part of me will feel less guilty about not helping them if the others join them.

When I get off work, I shower and change into a simple shirt, cardigan, jeans, and boots in the locker room at the yoga studio before I'm on my way to Tony's house to pick up Helena. She's recently been spending more time there since the others are busy trying to recreate Back to the Future.

Not that she doesn't mind.

I park on the driveway and head inside, my eye catching the blossoming vegetable garden on the side of the house. Tony waits for me by the front door with a rag in one hand and a glass cup in another. Guess Pepper has him doing his own dishes. Or she's probably out of the house. One of the two.

I nod my chin at the garden. "I should ask Pepper for tips," I say.

"She's actually out in the city, right now," he tells me, "in a meeting with the other board members at the ol' company."

Guess that solves that.

Tony eyes me for a moment, as if trying to guess what I'm thinking about. "You never told me how the interview went, by the way."

I rescheduled my interview for later this week. But by the look of that snarky grin on his face, I think he already knows that.

I nod at the rag he's using to dry the inside of the cup. "Pepper has you doing housework?"

He smirks in approval, shaking his head at me. He leaves it at that and nods his head at the door to motion we head inside.

Another thing Tony and I have in common is avoiding subjects we don't want to talk about. An attribute of his I don't mind taking a liking to. It's why he hasn't brought up Helena's incident or the possibility of her having powers, which I thank him for. He doesn't even mind having her around which I thought he or Pepper would in case something happens again. But he hasn't said anything since then.

I'm just nervous he'll ask what I've done about it and I'll have to explain why I haven't talked to her about magic. He's supported my choice in hiding my powers from her, but we both know it's only inevitable she finds out. If she is guaranteed to have powers, then the discussion is bound to happen sooner than I originally planned.

I follow him to the dining area, looking around for my daughter. I take a seat at his kitchen table, watching him rinse a ceramic plate before setting it aside on a rack by the sink. "I need to tell you something," he says, drying a plate with the same rag before placing it inside one of the upper cabinets.