Part 9: The Trespasser

AN: The song Unsteady by X Ambassadors (Erich Lee Gravity remix) is provided. Also, the picture is Sarah Desjardins who I imagined as this chapter's "trespasser". Hope you enJoy!

"How did you get in my house?" Tony asks the girl as he sneakily reaches for something behind his back

"How did you get in my house?" Tony asks the girl as he sneakily reaches for something behind his back. I step closer to him, grabbing his hand to stop him.

He shoots me a glare. What are you doing?

I nod my head once. Trust me.

I take a small step towards our home invader, raising my hands up at my sides. I'm perfectly aware I shouldn't approach the girl despite this feeling—this connection I have towards her. . .but when has my intuition ever me lead wrong?

If I still had my telepathy, I'd be using it right now to confirm my suspicions, but I just have to trust my gut on this.

She's young. She can't be older than eighteen, but at least around fifteen. I cautiously take another, bigger step, afraid she'll recoil if I get too close. Or that she'll deny me by stepping out of my way, maybe fight back. But somehow I know she won't.

And I'm right. She allows me to walk up to her, but I stop until we're just about an arms length away. That's when I notice we're practically the same height.

I stare straight into her eyes. She stares right back. I carefully lay my hands over her cheeks, but she flinches. I decide to hover my hands there instead so I don't have to touch her, that is until she reaches for my hand and places them on her face herself. Then she slowly leans into my touch.

"Helena?" I ask in a faint, croak of a whisper.

Despite the tears in her eyes, those vast, overwhelming oceans of bright, bold sapphire. . .she smiles. "Hi, mom."

I gasp.

She spoke in Sokovian.

I completely shudder out of my own skin. It's as if someone poured ice down my back—over my whole body. As if my world got flipped-turned upside down. As if someone trapped me inside a dream. But evaluating this bizarre life of mine, seeing how I've been to space, blown up a moon, met a wizard, a talking raccoon and a human spider amongst all the other wacky things I've seen and done—this could actually be my daughter. This could actually be real.

It's just so unbelievable.

"How is it—How are—H—How?" I mentally slap myself, begging my mouth to string a cohesive sentence together. To at least sound like I'm not having a stroke.

I don't know, maybe I am.

Since I can't exactly force the right words out of my mouth, I step forward and wrap an arm firmly around her back while my other hand presses the back of her neck beneath her hair that's styled in a knot. She hesitantly wraps her arms around my back, taking her time to respond, almost as if she's not used to being shown affection. Well, hey, she's a teenager, she's most likely embarrassed. But I still embrace her openly, my heart fuller than I believed it could be. And it's when she rests her chin on my shoulder that I feel her start to loosen up to me.