Part 14: The Dismantle

AN: Sorry if this one seems short. It was supposed to be included with the last chapter but it was already long enough and I didn't want it to seem to go on forever. But thanks for reading this far and hope you enJoy!

 But thanks for reading this far and hope you enJoy!

A tall, massive robot slowly approaches me. It's slender, iron fingers and skeletal wired arms reach for me as it slithers forward on its two long legs.

I'm stuck here, wherever I am for whatever reason. The only thing I'm able to do is watch it wander it's way up to me as I have nowhere to run. There's nothing around I can use as cover. Nothing to use to defend myself with. My only option left is to cower on the ground, huddling myself in some dark corner of an alleyway, powerless.

Literally.

Then all of a sudden, I witness the robot's body crack, shattering before me until it falls apart into nothing but a pile of scraps amongst the ground of broken rubble and ash. Then a haze of blue flashes by admits my bleak surroundings of black and gray.

I can almost feel the strong breeze brush against my cheeks. All in one breath, he appears before me and lifts me into his arms. I know I'm already safe.

Pietro secures his arms around me before taking us behind a beaten old car that's been flipped on its side. He puts me down once we're secured, helping me steady myself on my feet.

"I'm okay," I find myself saying in spite of his assistance, looking up to see his face inches from my own.

"That didn't look like it," he tells me with a in his voice. "You need to learn to be more careful." Then he smirks.

Damn that smirk.

Damn him!

He's the one who left me. He shouldn't be smiling. But I don't get the chance to tell him that when he kisses me.

And he kisses me hard. Deep. Passionate and complete like many times before, but very unlike the first. The first time we kissed was new, unprepared, but perfect. Inevitable—like our days of youth was building up to that single moment. Powerful—enough to stop time. Astronomical—the way thousands of stars light up a night sky before dying out.

"That is why I saved you," he whispers against my lips once he's out of breath.

Wait, hold on. Saved me from what?

"That is why I worry about you." These words are familiar to me. "I can't help it. . .I always will."

Those are the same exact words he said when he confessed his love for me.