Chapter Eighteen, Part Two

            “Ha ha, very funny,” Yasmine said sarcastically to Aaron. She held her phone a little tighter, hoping he really was joking.

            “I’m serious,” Aaron said. “You have to go shopping with her.”

            “Have to?” she asked. “And since when did I have to?”

            “My wedding is coming up, stupid.” He breathed a sigh. “And you need to go with her to shopping with her wedding dress.”

            “Aren’t you supposed to do that?” Yasmine pointed out.

            “I tried to tell her that, but she said she didn’t want me seeing the dress until the wedding. I also have plans of my own,” he explained. “Someone has to get the wedding hall and reminders out.”

            “Excuses,” she scoffed. “But, fine.”

            “Really? Thanks so much!” he exclaimed.

            James stepped out of the dining room and looked over at Yasmine, giving her a look asking ‘what’s the hold up?’ She mouthed “Aaron” at him, and he nodded, jaw clenched tight. He obviously was pissed. Yasmine also felt bad. What kind of girlfriend talks to her ex when she’s having dinner over at her boyfriend’s house?!

            “This means a lot,” Aaron continued. “Thanks!”

            “Yeah yeah,” Yasmine said. “But I have to go now.”

            “Oh—alright.”

            “Yep, bye.” She hesitated before pressing the end call. “By the way, you owe me one.” And with that, she hung up, and stuffed her phone back in her shorts.

            “Aaron, huh?” James asked, his eyes on the marble floor.

            “It’s not like that,” she explained before he jumped to conclusions. “He’s just busy and needs help with the wedding.”

            James looked at Yasmine in the eyes. “Do you still love him?”

            Yasmine’s eyes widened, and then looked anywhere else but at him. She looked at the old grandfather clock in the hallway, the nicely painted white walls. There were a couple of chipped paint near the ceiling, but you could barely notice them. It was so quiet, you could hear the ticking of the grandfather clock.

            Tick. Tick.

            “Well,” James started, “do you?”

            Yasmine grabbed his hand and looked at him. “Listen. I will never stop loving him, but, that doesn’t mean I’m in love with him.” She couldn’t believe the lies coming out of her mouth. “I love you now. Only you.”

            James gave her a small smile before tugging her towards him and giving her a tight hug. “I love you, too.”

            “I love you more.” Yasmine frowned against his shoulder. Something felt wrong—empty even—like this wasn’t supposed to be happening. Her heart hurt, and she didn’t even know why. Did she really believe she was over Aaron? Even that sounded foreign to her mind.

            “Now, let’s get back to dinner before my dad thinks we’re doing things in the hallway,” he said, pulling out of the hug.