Chapter Nineteen, Part One

            “And this is the anatomy of the body,” Professor Leah explained, running her hands over the diagram over the projector. She started indicating the different parts, but Yasmine wasn’t focused on that at all.

            She rested her cheeks on her palms, and propped her elbows on the desk. There were several papers on her desk, scribbled with notes on the human body. Yasmine was taking a variety of classes—but had decided to set a goal for a Master’s degree in Science of Anatomy. Hopefully, she’d get to be some kind of nurse or doctor.

            Yasmine sighed heavily—it had been three weeks since Lily had done her little … confession. She was still shocked—but confused as well. Why would she feel that Aaron would leave her? He was faithful, whether he was with Yasmine or not. She sighed again, and pressed her fingers to her temples.

            It was June, and summer was at its peak. Samuels City was a small city in Washington—it received the right amount of weather. Well, usually. Lately, it was humid and muggy outside, despite summer just beginning. Aaron and Lily’s wedding would be in a couple of days, and Yasmine didn’t know how to feel. How would she face Lily—or Aaron for that matter?

            “Class dismissed,” Professor Leah announced, interrupting Yasmine out of her thoughts. Chairs scraped against the floor and everyone stood up, gathering their books. “I hope to see everyone at graduation!”

            “Graduation?” Yasmine wondered out loud.

            A petite girl in glasses looked over at Yasmine. Her name was Alyssa. She didn’t talk much, and Yasmine never really talked to her—unless they were partners for some kind of project. Alyssa was nice, and smart, but mostly quiet, so she didn’t really give off any impression.

            “Yeah, graduation’s tomorrow—well, for us.” Alyssa walked over to Yasmine’s seat. “Didn’t you know?”

            “Er, I forgot,” Yasmine replied, scratching the back of her head in embarrassment. She was so focused on Aaron’s wedding, and Lily’s backstabbing attitude, and James, that she completely was oblivious to anything else around her. Like in books, she was becoming one of those girls that only revolved her world around relationships—Yasmine scrunched her face up in disgust at the thought.

            After waving goodbye to Alyssa, Yasmine walked out of class and headed to the parking lot where James’ car was parked. James had finally come back to classes.

            Ring-Ring! Ring-Ring!

            Yasmine’s phone started blaring from her shorts’ pocket. She fished it out her pocket and accepted the call. “Hello?”

            “Yasmine?” Hailey’s voice asked. “Where are you?”

            “In the parking lot, why?” Yasmine asked.

            “Are you going to move in today?”

            “Yeah,” she answered. “I’m just waiting for James, and then he’s going to drop me off home so I can pack while he gets my stuff from his house, and we’re both going to meet at your dorm.”

            “Okay, then,” Hailey said. “I’ll see you later?”

            “Yep,” Yasmine confirmed. “Bye.” She snapped her phone shut, and just as she did, James came jogging up towards her.