mocaran // pastel baking

"ran!" moca called out for her wife, ran. there was no response, and she guessed that moca was either ignoring her or asleep. this thought led moca to stomp in the hall and to appear in the doorway like a dramatic theater opening. she crossed her arms and tried to look intimidating.

this failed though as she was wearing a long, baby blue sweater and a silky robe to cover it. the probably least intimidating outfit. she then saw her own wife asleep soundly, next to an alarm clock that read 10 am.

moca tapped on her head and to her surprise, ran's eyes fluttered open. moca took a second to admire the ruby-like eyes ran had. they're so pretty, she thought to herself. like a newly found ruby.

"what is it, moca?" ran's eyes darted to moca's face that had a slight pout to it as she still had her arms crossed. ran would admit that this look was too cute for an early morning.

"i want to make cupcakes with you." moca's angry facade vanished as her voice was almost like a timid five-year-old. moca's eyes shined in the yellow glow their bedside lamp had.

ran, admitting to her defeat, slowly got up and stretched. her creamy mint robe hanged loosely on her body, as well as the pink bunny slippers she had on.

they staggered into the kitchen and pulled out the many ingredients that had stored in the cupboard. moca pulled out the pots and pans and measuring cups. (which admittingly, the colors were soft. baby blues, delicate pinks, and lavender. the colors fitted their small, a quite cute apartment they were living in.)

ran got the butter, milk, eggs, flour, and other ingredients to decorate the cupcakes.

"so uh- what do we do first?" moca asked, scratching her head. ran opened up the containers of the milk, eggs, and butter and picked up a large pink bowl. "i will mix the wet ingredients together. and you can mix the dry ingredients." ran pointed to the flour and the medium blue bowl aside her.

"wow~, who knew ran was such the cooking expert?" moca teased, poking ran's cheek as she walked over the dry ingredients. ran giggled and blushed lightly at the soft touch. somehow, ran always blushed at the slightest things.

moca always teased ran in their early years of marriage that ran is just getting used to her, and that she will adapt real soon. ran always laughed at that joke and hid her face in her hands.

by the time they got all the ingredients into one bowl together, it was messy. flour was all over their aprons (have i mentioned their pastel as well?) and a half stick of butter was left on the floor. milk was neatly spilled on the counter, as well as eggs shells being left about, waiting to be crunched by somebody's feet.

it was messy, Gordon Ramsay definitely wouldn't approve.

moca giggled proudly at the mess upon them, while ran cringed at how disgusting the place was. "we need to clean- actually, you made this whole mess. you clean it up." ran looked at moca with cold eyes. moca knew damn well ran wouldn't oblige to clean any of it up, so she sighed and went to go get the broom.

when she came back, she saw with her very own eyes that ran was licking all the batter off the spoon. moca grabbed the spoon out of her hand. "nuh-uh! you gotta be patient, ran-chan~." moca gave a dumb smirk as she got closer to ran.

ran blushed at the sudden closeness between her and moca, to the point where their noses touched, but she pushed her away and mumbled, "we can't do that right now."

moca laughed at the comment.

an hour or so later, the cupcakes were finally finished.

"what color icing should we do?" ran asked, wiping the beads of sweat off her face. moca looked through their cabinet to only see a few shades of blue. she pulled them out and said, "which one?"

ran chose the light blue icing. moca picked up the spatula and started to spread the icing. surprisingly enough to ran, moca smoothed it out evenly.

ran sprinkled little rainbow sprinkles onto each of the cupcakes. moca teased, "really does fit the atmosphere, huh?" ran giggled and argued, "it was the only sprinkles we had."

and after two long, stressful hours, the dozen cupcakes were complete.

they collapsed onto their couch with a cupcake in their hand. and for the moment of truth, they bit into them.

it was silent for a moment until they both heard themselves humming in approval.

"these cupcakes are so delicious. Yamabuki bakery may need to step up their baking game."

ran chuckled at her statement and demolished the cupcake in only ten seconds. she leaned back into the couch.

"those cupcakes were-"

"the same as always?" moca interrupted.

there was silence until a giggle was heard.

"the same as always."