Chapter Two - The Unfortunates

"Before Jacob had told me to leave, though clearly, I did not listen to him, we were both working to bring Jack down. The reason as to why Jacob wanted me out of London was because Jack is too dangerous and is targeting all assassins. Unfortunately, he is proving too much for us and remains one step ahead at all times." I begin to say.

"And then you both summoned me back from London?" Evie asked in clarification.

"Yes. Though of course Jacob didn't want to admit that we needed the help. However, I also believe he didn't want for you to get involved, and while I do agree with him, I also know that we can't do this alone. Discretion is key, but with Jack always being one step ahead, we find more and more assassins dead with each passing day. Every victim we have found always wore a ring, an assassin's ring, but was always found away from the body, an act of desperation to keep the Brotherhood safe. Each and every one of them were protecting the Brotherhood, right until the very end."

"You believe it is no coincidence that he targets assassins?"

"Not at all. We are all targets, including you and me. I don't know what Jack wants with me specifically, but the last thing I heard him say to Jacob was that he would take care of me, and I don't plan to find out what that means.

"Then let's get to work and put a stop to him." Was all that was said as we continued examining the murder scene, making sure to not miss a single clue. 'You will pay, Jack. Even if it costs me my life.' I thought. After examining everything, we made our way back to Scotland Yard to discuss what we have found about the murder of Miss Nichols.

Evie's POV

"Inspector. The inquest mentions that Miss Nichols made quite a spectacle of her drunkenness on the night of her murder." Was the first thing I said as (Name) and I entered his office. "Do you think Jacob may have put her up to it?" I asked him, and I could see from the corner of my eye that (Name) was listening with interest, though I am unsure why that is at the moment. I hadn't brought this up with her on the way to Mr. Abberline's office, but I needed to know.

"Bait, you mean. I don't know what to think anymore, Miss Frye..." Before he could continue, (Name) spoke up and said,

"I know my husband, and he would never use someone as bait, especially if it cost them their life. Look, Jacob and I kept lodgings not far from here. That was where I was before coming here, trying to look for any clues that Jacob may have left, it was the last place I saw him before he was taken. Surely, we can find some clues, or anything of use to us, that he might have left there."

"Be careful." Mr. Abberline said.

"We will not fail you." Nothing else was said as (Name) and I made our way to the lodgings.

"Evie, if something were to go wrong and I fall before seeing this mission done, promise me that you will do whatever it takes to end the Ripper. You are our last hope if something happened to me. Please, promise me that you will do this." I could hear the pleading in her tone as she spoke, and I could feel my heart ache as I have never heard her speak to me in that tone before.

"I promise you." Was all that was said before we continued on to the lodgings. I can only pray that we will come out of this alive.

"There has got to be something here." I said as we entered the lodging and begin looking around for anything. "More signs... What are we not seeing? There must be something more here...Come on, Jacob...Give me a sign!" I heard (Name) say.

End of POV

"Evie, over here." I said as I found spikes and fear bombs near the door.

"Weapons of intimidation, much like those we learned to use with our Indian Brothers." She said before we the examined the dried blood on the floor.