Chapter Four - Letter of Intent

The moment we stepped into Mr. Abberline's office the day after Lady Owers death was the moment a newspaper was pretty much thrown into our faces. Prying it away from our faces, I pulled it in front of me and read the headline.

'Murder at Owers Manor'? I read out loud as I glanced towards Evie.

"People continue to be murdered on my watch—I cannot protect you or your Brotherhood forever. Witnesses saw two people, matching the description of the both of you... I should lock you up..." Mr. Abberline said. We knew that her death was going to be reported, but I hadn't anticipated that someone was going to report that it was us. 'It could've been her husband, Thomas. I had forgotten that he was in the room when we assassinated Lady Owers. What a rookie mistake that was. I was so focused on our objective that I was blind to my surroundings.'

"Weaversbrook Publishing... The man from the photograph at the manor... He owns this newspaper." Evie said.

"Looks like we need to find this man, especially before Jack gets to him." I said. Nothing more was said as we begin to make our way out of the office.

"Miss Frye! Mrs. (Name)!" Mr. Abberline called out.

"We will catch the Ripper, Inspector. But first, you must help us find Weaversbrook before he does." You could hear the slight pleading tone in my voice as I spoke. We have come this far; we can't let anything stop us now. All he did was walk towards a nearby window.

"This way, you must not be seen... I believe Mr. Weaversbrook has a residence near St. Paul's. Now go." I lowered my head in gratitude before both Evie and I climbed out of the window and out of the office.

"Mr. Weaversbrook is our best lead, and thanks to the Inspector, the police aren't hunting for us just yet." Evie said as we begin to make our way to our destination.

"But who knows how long he can keep them off us. We must be careful not to anger or harm any policemen, if we want to keep them on our side." I said.

"Let's hope it won't come to that."

"You don't seriously think we would attack the police, do you"

"With Jack involved, anything is possible." Nothing else was said as we continue on. Thankfully, it wasn't long before we found just who we were looking for, only he had some company of his own.

"Just our bloody luck, more of the Rooks." I said.

"I'll do whatever he asks, please don't hurt my boy!" We heard Mr. Weaversbrook say to the surrounding Rooks. You could hear the fear in his voice as he spoke.

"All you had to do was keep printing the letters..." One of them said.

"But he's a madman! A bloodthirsty butcher!"

"And that's what sells newspapers, innit?" Another said. Nothing more could be said as Evie and I make our way over towards the Rooks, making our appearance known.

"Now lads, that is no way to talk the man." I said, directing all their attention at me. With their focus on me. Mr. Weaversbrook took the opportunity to run.

"Well, well, if it isn't the women who Jack wants..." Before anything else could be said, I threw a fear bomb as Evie began taking down those who didn't run in a non-lethal way, which I joined her in. Though during the fight, I noticed how much we were igniting fear in the Rooks, and the thought of that scares me. Not long after, all the Rooks had run, though the thought of the fear we sparked bother me.

"Evie, since when did we spark that much fear into our enemies?" I said to her.

"What do you mean?"