Chapter 2: Doing the right thing

The door of the Hokage's office bursted open to reveal a disheveled Shikamaru. He was met with the sight of the fifth Hokage, Tsunade, sitting at her desk and his parents talking to her.

"Shikamaru, what are you doing here?" Lady Tsunade questioned him with a smirk on her face despite the fact that she already knew his answer.

"Sorry to disturb you Lady Tsunade, I have some things to discuss about with my parents." Shikamaru replied with anger radiating off his words that made  most of the people in the room shudder.

"No worries, just go home and have the conversation you want with your parents." Tsunade said happily, unaffected by his tone of voice- this gave him a bad feeling in his stomach. He turned around quickly to leave when Tsunade stopped him suddenly, her face no longer containing the smug expression she had earlier on.

"Shikamaru." She said seriously.

"What."

"I trust that you will do the right thing." She answered.

What she said confused Shikamaru.

What does she mean by doing the right thing? One glance at his parents and he understood what she was implying. If the Fifth Hokage told him she will trust him to do the right thing, then his marriage was not just a simple problem he can overlook and get rid off. He kept his back to her and sighed.

What a drag.

"I can't promise anything." That was his answer before leaving the room in complete silence with his parents back to their house.