Chapter 27 - The confession

Y/N's PoV

It was the morning I eagerly waited for, yet wasn't really ready to face. It took five attempts to choose my dress, I wasn't particularly happy with the fifth one, but decided to go with it anyway. The dresses were fine, but it was my mind struggling to make decisions. I couldn't conceive the fact that it was actually going to happen, just like that. I wondered where V was, in a way it was better I didn't see him. Would anything change my mind? I wondered as I sat down and opened the draw next to me. What would happen after this? How would I even stand in front of Tae and speak? I sighed looking at the mirror and took the curling iron from the draw. I felt like I was running late and no one's telling me to hurry up. I curled my hair briefly and adjusted my makeup. I stood up and ruffled my curls so they would look like I put some effort in. I took a deep breath in and huffed out dropping my shoulders.

"Hi...!"
Uh! No, that's too plain.
"Hi Tae! It's...It's me, y/n..."
Urghh! I look so stupid!
I groaned throwing my head back in frustration. The reflection on the mirror wasn't helping. I took couple of deep breaths staring at myself.
"Just be calm, and take it as it comes...ok..."
I told my reflection. I closed my eyes and sighed while standing still for few seconds.
Now, Where's V...?
I wondered stepping out of the dressing room.

I paused as soon as my eyes fell on the bed. A silk cloth was spread on the middle of it. In the centre, a beautifully decorated cake with perfectly piped roses and adorned with pearls. Pink rose petals were scattered all around it. A single long thin candle placed in the middle of the cake was burning calmly.
V was stood facing the balcony with his back to me, he appeared to be deep in thoughts. A soft muted laughter gently jiggled my shoulders as I walked closer to it. He turned around after hearing my footsteps.

"Surprise!"
He smiled opening his arms.
Of course! It was my birthday and I actually forgot all about it. It didn't even cross my mind and I've lost track of time. I moved my eyes from the beautiful arrangement, and looked at him with big wide smile.
"Happy Birthday y/n..."
He wished in his deep voice. There was a layer somber beneath his smile.
I looked at him, lost for words.
"Come."
He took my hand and guided me towards the bed. I sat cross legged opposite the cake.
"It's so pretty... Thank you."
I smiled at him. He calmly sat opposite me.
"It's all yours."
He picked up the silver cake knife decorated with pink ribbons from the plate beside the cake and handed me. I blew out the candle and placed the knife on the cake, ready to slice through it. He quickly reached and held my wrist. I looked at him puzzled.
"Not yet. You need to make your wish to the angels, remember?"
My smile faded a little and I looked down.
"You do that too?"
"Mmhm, someone taught me".
He replied smiling.
"I stopped making them a long time ago..."
I sighed softly and mumbled as my smile faded away.
"Why?"
"The last wish I made never came true."
"What was it?"
"...Tae..."
My eyes teared up as I uttered his name in my shaky voice. He reached for my chin and lifted my face up to see him.
"They always come true."
He smiled tilting his head.
"This is for you."
He placed a wooden box in front of me and breathed.
"What is it?"
I asked caressing the smooth surface of the lid.
"Your wish..."
"My wish?"
I looked at him curiously.
"Open it."
He requested.
I lifted the gold metal latch and opened it. There was a red velvet gift box inside it. I looked at him, he seemed a little tense.
"Is this for me?"
"Yes, it's been waiting to be opened for a long time."
He got up from the bed and stood up as he spoke. My smile slowly reappeared on my lips. I opened the lid of the red box that was inside. The soft smile growing on my lips wilted quickly. I could feel my chest tightening unable to breathe. My lips parched and lost for words.
The enchanted rose...
There it was...the red rose encased in a glass orb with sparkling dust of gold and tiny flakes of white snow. My eyelids grew heavier with tears and I looked at him. He was facing the other way.
"Ohhh!"
I swallowed unable to speak.
"How...? How d...did you ....know?"
My voice shook as I tried to deny the inclinations rising and clamouring my heart.
"That was the birthday gift my y/n wanted when I last saw her."
He softly uttered still facing the balcony.
Droplets of my tear fell on the glass orb and trailed down as I silently whimpered covering my mouth with one hand. Darkness clouded and flashed past my eyes. Time was moving twice as slow. I took it out of the box along with the piece of silk cloth covering it.
"Toto..."
I whispered taking him out of the box with my trembling hand. The pictures tucked away underneath him became visible. I felt my heart quiver in pain as if it had been hammered with thousand nails all at once.
Suddenly, my silent cry turned into louder sobbing. The shattered pieces of memories started to come together like a puzzle, revealing the whole picture.
The truth.
Everything started to make sense...Still, I mindlessly tried to deny it, as if this was all just a bad dream.
"No...no...this is not true... this is not...It can't be..."
I scrambled off the bed and ran to him. I grabbed his arm and turned him around to face me. He kept his head down, his eyes closed.
"Where did you get all of this? How...How do you...?
Who are you?...Tell me..."
I muttered grabbing onto his blazer. His eyes filled with tears. A weak somber smile faintly trembled along his lips. I gripped his collar tightly and pulled his face closer to me.
"Who are you?"
I mumbled weakly this time, fearing the answer his lips would spill out. My eyes frantically examined all over his face.
How did I failed to see it all?
The top button of his shirt became undone as I grabbed his collar, revealing the last missing piece, completing the picture. My name glimmered on the broken heart pendant. I froze with my eyes fixed on it. There was nothing moving, the world around me had come to a standstill like we were stuck in time. That's how it felt like for me.