six.

ashton stared luke down, gauging his reaction. he could almost hear the mental argument going on in luke's head, the bickering voices shooting each other down. however, he kept his strong posture, intent that he could trust luke in his plans.

this wasn't a spur of the moment thing, if that's what you're thinking. ashton had spent months poring every ounce of his being into a complicated strategy he was eager to begin.

the first step he had thought of was to find a partner, an accomplice -- the bonnie to his clyde. someone he trusted, but if need be, wouldn't be too hard to dispose of.

after that, they would start small, gradually working their way up from smaller businesses and gas stations to larger car dealers, or wealthy homes, and, eventually, banks. from there on, they could contact ashton's friend in panama who would then give them new identities, and a free ticket to a fuller and richer life.

it was planned out and precise, a fully functional machine that, if operated correctly, could change his life forever.

and ashton wanted that opportunity.

which is why he stood in front of a trembling blonde, whose blue eyes matched the size of saucers. the scene in front of him made him feel the guilt that started to seep into his veins. however the toxic emotion didn't last long until it was pushed aside, clear determination taking it's place.

"luke, i know that this is sudden, but it could really benefit both of us in the long run." he persuaded, biting his lip.

if luke declined the offer, ashton had a handgun in the glovebox, among the maps and spare condoms. like the three other unfortunate people he had given this chance of a future to, they would end up dumped in the industrial sized garbage can off belden and percy with a bullet through their skulls.

a hasty call will be made to a roommate, or parent, someone who cared. fake tears will be mocked, and ashton would give them a common and settling cause of death, something entirely unrelated to murder.

after a short mourning period for the lost souls, who died for the sake of keeping a secret, ashton would move on. he and calum would find someone else who could aide as a sidekick to ashton, when calum would be drinking a pepsi in the running car waiting outside.

he felt no guilt. it was all part of the plan. the perfectly constructed algebraic equation that always resulted in the same thing -- ashton's success. it was luke that could become the x, a compliant factor of their heists.

when luke started to nod, a tentative bob, ashton couldn't help the ear to ear grin that escaped onto his features. the blonde licked his lips, and quietly replied.

"will it be dangerous? i have a life i want to live."

ashton raised a brow and stepped towards the careful boy.

"it won't be easy. you might get hurt, and those close to you will turn to enemies. but, in a few months, maybe a year, we could be in barcelona having a grand time. this will forever change your life for the better."

luke crossed his arms, and cocked his head to the side, eyes roaming over ashton's body. he narrowed his eyes the slightest, but the warm smile gave him away.

"ashton, you said 'we'." the taller mumbled. a red blush appeared on his cheeks, and ashton strode forward even more, decreasing the space between them to nearly nothing.

"i said we because i like you, luke. a lot. and because this whole thing was missing something, someone else. that's you." ashton recited from memory, using the same speech he had used on the last three accomplices.

every word he said needed to be hand tailored to suit his needs. each syllable had to persuade, comfort, and ease luke into the mindset that this idea was for the best. that losing everything you had known and grown accustomed to could potentially result in a glorious future.

ashton brought his hand to luke's cheek, brushing his fingers against the warm skin. he stared into luke's sapphire eyes, until the barely audible agreement ghosted across the younger's lips.

"i'll be your puzzle piece."

---

ashton numbly stuck his key into the bronze lock, twisting it until he heard the dull heft of the door being unlocked. he slipped inside, greeting the boy who laid on the couch, and the girl on top of him, sucking hickeys onto his chest. calum waved back shortly, and returned his hands to their previous position on the brunette's ass.

with a quick laugh at the scene in front of him, ashton took out the key for his room, turning it in the lock. as he stepped into his room, ashton grabbed the black marker that sat on his desk, and rotated towards the far wall.

among the dozens of photos, he uncapped the marker, and hovered it in front of a picture of a familiar blonde. he was neither the first nor the last in the the line of targets the brunette had aqquired over the years.

he was disposable, and the perfect cover for ashton's robberies.

---

really short update but when r they aren't fr

okay so wow this has been getting a lot of positive feedback and i just want to say i love every single one of you who reads this like ?? every vote or comment or read makes me so happy and iTS ALL THANKS TO YOU AND I JUST LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART OKay that was dumb i just rlly want to give all of u a hug and kiss pce