Chapter 7

Spensa POV:

I stepped into training at 06:30-first to class. The knowledge of my father's treason hung over me like a cloud. I decided not to talk about it―to anyone. 

The rest of the light entered shortly, then Cobb and Jorgen, walking with his customary distinguished air. He caught my eye then looked away.

I tried not to blush.

"Holo practice is basically done for you lot," Cobb said as he set a stack of reports on his desk. "From now on, you'll do most of your time on real machines."

"Great!" I said, with an enthusiasm I didn't feel.

We hurried out into the hallway.

We changed into flight suits and walked out onto the launch pad, passing our pocos in a line. Arturo's spot was empty and he was informed that his ship was still in repair and he would have to take Skyward 6, Kimmalyn's old ship. 

I handed the case with the recording of the Battle of Alta to Cobb. He studied me, the took the data case. He handed me a folded sheet of paper. 

Authorization for release of restrictions on cadet Spensa Nightshade.

Full cadet privileges instated.

Cobb walked off, and I climbed into my ship, head spinning. But I needed to get back into the air, so when Jorgen called for us to take off, I did so.

Jorgen POV:

After possibly the dullest and most monotonous scout exercise(although I wouldn't admit that to anyone except maybe Spin, surely she would understand) I climbed out of my cockpit and went with the others to the after-battle briefing. Then Arturo's mom showed up and, just like that, pulled him out of the DDF. He grudgingly saluted us, then let his mom tow him away. FM walked along with Cobb to the briefing, but Spensa stayed behind.

"Hey," I said. "You coming?"

She stalked up to me and began ranting angrily about how it wasn't fair, his parents had no right to shelter him, particularly against his own obvious desires.

"You realize the only ones who died were the common ones," she said. "Bim, Morningtide, Hurl." She tapped my chest with each word. I grabbed her arm to make her stop.

"They were my friends too, Spin." But I could see that she wasn't mad at me, I could see in her eyes that she was just as frustrated as me. She hated that we were boxed in like this. 

She grabbed the front of my flight suit in both hands...and quietly rested her head against my chest. I let go of her shoulders and wrapped my arms around her. She held on and didn't let me go.

"A part of me is glad he's safe and will stay safe, but another part of me is angry. Why couldn't Hurl have been kept safe? Or Bim?" She sighed.

I held her, stroked her hair, and didn't say anything

"Cobb told us on that first day that only one or two of us would make it. Who dies next? Me? You? Why, after all this time, don't we even know what we're fighting or why we're doing it?"

"We know why, Spensa. It's for Alta. And Igneous. For civilization. And you're right. The way we do things isn't fair. But these are the rules we play by. They're the only rules I know."

"Why is everything about rules to you? What about emotion? What about feeling?"

"I...I don't know. I..."

I trailed off, thinking about what she said. Everything really was about rules to me. I wasn't like Spin, fueled by the things they said about her father or even her passion for flying. Or even FM, with her desire to be different. People expected certain things from me. I was given rules, and I abided by them. But did that really make me an emotionless creature?

"I do feel things, Spin. Like right now, I feel happy that you feel you can talk to me. I know I come off as a heartless creature to everyone else, but this is the second time now that you've shared your feelings with me. I'm glad you feel like I'm someone you can talk too."

She strengthened her grip on my waist and didn't let go. "You...might...come off as a heartless creature to those who don't know you..." she said. "But neither FM nor I think of you as Jerkface anymore. Only sometimes." I could hear the smile in her voice. 

"'Sometimes'?"

She laughed and pulled away. "Come on. They're probably waiting for us." She smirked at me over her shoulder as she turned around and walked off towards the building FM had followed Cobb into.

"Wait, what do you mean 'sometimes'?" I called after her. She didn't answer.

Scud. Spensa really is a piece of work. I smiled, jogging to catch up to her.

AN:

I found the picture for the cover of this chapter on Deviantart by Piky1213 and felt that deserved to be shared here

OMG Starsight comes out in like two weeks ahhhhhhhh

It may have been a bit extra, but I made an online timer for the release date XD

livecountdown.com/starsight-release-date/

I'm really excited!!!!!

Wise_girl

<3