Chapter 5

Spensa POV:

I re-entered reality just outside of Alta Base. Home. The familiar sight relived something dark and heavy inside me, and I almost cried.

"Spensa!" M-Bot shouted. "They are preparing to fire!" 

I cursed, noticing that, yes, the AA guns were taking aim at me. Scud!

"Call Alta Base," I said to M-Bot as I grabbed the control sphere and veered out of the way as the first shot was fired. 

"I... I cannot, Spensa."

Right. 

I hit the overburn and zipped forward and down, dodging another shot as it was fired.  

"We need to get out of range!"

We skimmed across the planet's surface and up ahead, I noticed a flight of ships descending from Platform Prime. Those were pocos.

I tried to tell myself that didn't mean anything, poco class ships were among the most common in the DDF. But I couldn't shake the hope that they had sent Skyward Flight to check me out...

I turned and hovered, watching them get closer. One fired a warning shot and I cursed. Scud! Who was that? 

They fanned out in front of me, windshields dark. 

My heart pounded against my rib cage. Something was wrong.

There were only nine of them. Where was--

Something hit my ship from underneath and pulled me down. A destructor?

No, a Lightlance. The others speared me as well. Scud. 

We sank rapidly in the air and landed on the surface. It was not a particularly pleasant landing. The cockpit popped on one ship and Jorgen jumped out, destructor pistol in hand, and began running towards my ship.

Jorgen. 

My heart leaped. Never had I been so happy to see anyone. Detritus wasn't home without him, I guess. The others jumped out of their ships as well and covered Jerkface as he ran toward me, Kimmalyn, FM, Nedd, Arturo, Sadie, and the two other Boys, Catnip, and... I couldn't remember. But it didn't matter. 

I slammed the cockpit release and, agonizingly slowly, it opened. I sat frozen for another second, then climbed out, trying not to look hostile. 

"Jorgen," I began. Up ahead he froze. His face was masked by his helmet, so I couldn't see his expression.  

"It's me," I said. "Spensa."

His pistol lowered. He raised his other hand land lifted his visor. I held my hands up and inched forward cautiously. "Don't shoot, okay?" 

He dropped his gun. "Spensa?" He broke into a grin and dashed forward. I smiled hesitantly as he drew closer, then ran to meet him. We collided, and stars, it felt good. All the tension and worry I'd been keeping inside melted away for that small moment in his arms. We rocked back and forth as the others realized what going on and surrounded me. 

Jerkface let go of me and asked very loudly, "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?"

I started to reply but he interrupted me. "TWO MONTHS, SPENSA! TWO MONTHS WHERE WE DIDN'T KNOW WHERE YOU WERE, IF YOU WERE IN DANGER, WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IF YOU WERE STILL ALIVE!"

I smiled as I realized he wasn't angry, but worried. Then I laughed. I closed the distance between us and said: "I missed you too."

Jorgen POV:

After Spensa got back (Spensa!!! Back!!), Nedd pulled me aside, still grinning, and said, "Nice speech."

I blushed. "Let's not dwell on that, I was really worried."

"Yeah, I know," he said, as I opened the door to my room. 

Walking in there was like getting a blue and yellow neon paint grenade between the eyes. Then I realized. I'd left a bunch of clothes in Spensa's room while she was away. 

"Everything good?" Nedd asked. "You look like you've seen a--"

"Do you know where Spin is?" I interrupted him.

"Last I checked she was giving Cobb a full report, why?"

"I left a bunch of stuff in her room."

We stared at each other awkwardly for a moment, then took off down the hallway. 

When we arrived at her door, I put my ear to the door and heard nothing. Slowly I turned the knob and opened the door. It was empty, thank the stars. I rushed around the room picking up clothes (despite what people think my room is never very orderly) and papers and other things I'd left. 

"Do you want to lose the sheets too?" Nedd said.

"Better safe than sorry," I said as he ripped off the bedding and wadded into his arms. We got out of there as soon as we could, but a little way down the hall, we ran into Spin, walking with Kimmalyn to her room. 

I tried to walk past her without looking guilty, but inwardly I was relieved that I'd remembered when I did. She gave me an odd look as we passed. 

Once they were out of earshot Nedd whispered, "that was close."

Indeed it had been.

AN:

Hey!!! This chapter is a long time in coming and I'm finally glad to get it out. School finished for me, so hopefully, I'll have more time to update. I really enjoyed writing this. Stay safe everyone!

<3