Chapter 2

I quickly tapped the receiver button. Static filled the room and I distinctly heard Arturo's voice: 

"-Think it working, Cobb. She's in range, but just barely."

"How are the amplifiers holding up?"

"They're doing fine sir." That was Rig's voice. "But, sir. I've latched onto her signal. She's not on Starsight! What is that planet?"

"Is that the planet that the alien showed up from?"

"Is the signal strong enough to talk to her, Cobb?"

My heart skipped a beat. That was Jorgen

"Jorgen," I said. "Cobb? I can hear you!"

"Spensa!" Jorgen sounded relieved. "Where are you?" 

"I'm on ReDawn," I said. "Alanik's planet."

"Are you safe?" Cobb asked.

"Yes, but Cobb. I left M-Bot!"

"You did what?" Arturo said. "What are you carrying that is transmitting radio waves?"

"We managed to copy his code into a cleaning bot. But we need to get his ship back."

"Yes ... work on that ... need to make sure ... Starsight..." he said. 

"Cobb you're cutting out," I said, desperate. "Cobb, can you hear me?"

"What a mess!" Rig said. "Sorry about that Cobb."

"Cobb," I said, remembering the reason I was sent to Starsight in the first place. "Doomslug is the hyperdrive. You need to find more of her type!"

"Yes, we know," Jorgen said. Scud, I missed him. "I think I can hear them ... a buzzing, like high powered machinery in use nearby. We found a whole colony, Nedd and Arturo and me."

My heart leaped. Maybe there was hope yet. Jorgen's voice began to fuzz out.

"I'm coming," I whispered as the channel died. "Hold out."

I looked up at Morrean and Adriel.

They shared a look. "'Doomslug?' is the hyperdrive? That's Doomslug?" Morrean asked, pointing at the yellow and blue slug in my arms. 

It occurred to me that Alanik had been sent at Kuna's request to gain primary intelligence—and to learn the secret of FTL travel. I froze, feeling like an idiot. Then I felt bad. Didn't these people deserve to know the secret, as we did? What right did the Superiority have to withhold the knowledge? I stood up straight. 

"Yes," I said. "Doomslug and her kind are what the superiority uses as cytonic hyperdrives."

Morrean sat down. "I'll help you get back to your planet."

"I ... you will?"

She nodded.  "I need to share this with the rest of the representatives. Adriel will show you upstairs."

AU:

Sorry for the short chapter! Ly all, and STAY SAFE!!!

PS i mean it <3