Chapter 7

Cat and I sorted through her stuff. Some things we kept, some went back into storage along with the things I wasn't quite ready to part with but knew I didn't really need at this moment.

I actually really enjoyed seeing our stuff mixed on the shelves, in the cabinet, and around the apartment. Now there are signs for my brain everywhere to recognize that Cat is really a huge part of my life.

Cat seemed more at ease too. I guess I didn't really consider how hard it must have been on her living in someone else's space, not really feeling like this was a place that we shared. It feels like more than an apartment. It feels more like a home now.

She and I are curled up together watching the next episode of Full Metal Alchemist and eating popcorn.

I look down at her and smile. She's totally into the show, so I can just enjoy looking at her without her telling me to stop staring or pushing me away. She really is beautiful. Inside and out, she just this incredible person. She amazes me.

"I can feel you staring," she tells me, though she doesn't look at me.

I chuckle. "I can't help it."

"You could try."

"Do you really want me to?"

I see her grin, pop a piece of popcorn in her mouth, and shrug. "I guess not. At least I know you're interested."

"Very interested."

She laughs. "Yes, I've gotten that impression."

I laugh.

"So we go to your parents' tomorrow."

"Yep," is all I get out of her, I sigh.

"Not even going to talk about it, are you?"

She gives me a side-glance and her eyes drift back to the T.V. "Nope."

"Seriously, Cat? In less than 24 hours we will be at your parents' house. Telling them we're engaged and you don't want to talk about it."

"Not really?"

"Why?"

"Because there is no way to prepare for such a situation. I could worry but where is that going to get me but stressed out and I'm trying to de-stress not add stress to my life. I could try to run every conversation, every scenario through my head, but all that will do is take up a lot of air time and none of what I think may happen, may actually happen. It's all a waste of time, Alex."

I can see her point, but she isn't the outsider in this situation I am.

"What if they aren't happy with the idea?"

"Then I say to hell with them, and we go someplace actually fun for our break."

I'm surprised she had such a quick answer. Obviously, she's obviously been giving this some thought. She just decided about a few things already without discussing things first, but she has me curious.

"Where would we go?"

She reaches over and pauses the show and looks at me, giving me her undivided attention. "Where would you like to go?"

"I don't know. I haven't really been anywhere so ..."

"How can you be twenty-one years old and not be anywhere? Didn't your parents ever take you on a vacation?"

"They weren't really the vacationing type. My Dad was all into his business and never had time off. Mom tried to make things interesting when we were little, but once we got older, she left us to our own devices."

"So you've never say... gone to the beach, or gone camping in the mountains?"

I shake my head no.

"Huh?"

"What?" I ask her, as she has a strange expression on her face.

"Nothing, it just as rough as my childhood was, those are the times that kind of made it all worth it. My dad would be totally chill when we were camping or at the beach. It's the only time he appeared like an actual human to Dillion and me."

"Maybe that's what we missed out on," I shrug, wondering if my childhood would have been better if we had.

Cat is studying me intently. "That's it, we are going to spend some time at the beach. I'm sure I can get Olivia and Doug to join us for an impromptu trip. Maybe we can even do a bonfire. O ooh, and smores'. We have to have smores'."

I laugh at her sudden enthusiasm for this plan. She gets up and walks away. "Where are you going? To pack my bathing suit if it still fits me and if not we'll go shopping? You probably need a suit too." She pauses. "Do you even know how to swim?"

"Yes, Aiden and I had lessons when we were kids."

She claps her hands together. "This is going to be fun." She disappears into the bedroom and comes back minutes later with her car keys in her hands. "Nope, no way I'm getting away with that suit, so let's go." She pulls me up from the couch.

"Right now Cat, but it's late and..." She's pushing me towards the door.

"We won't have time tomorrow. Tomorrow is when we are leaving. So yes, now."

"Okay, okay. Stop shoving."

She opens the door, "After you," she says with a wave of her hand.

"Nope, ladies first," I say, mimicking her gesture.

She laughs and heads out the door. "This is going to be fun."

Shopping, especially for clothes, is never my idea of fun, but I had to admit having Cat model swimsuits for me wasn't half bad. I found a suit in like 5 seconds after we showed up to the store, but it took several tries for Cat to settle on what she liked. She also got us beach towels and chairs, flip-flops and the ingredient for smores'.

"You really are going all out for this."

"Are you kidding me? This is your first beach party. We got to make this perfect. And I can honestly say I'm actually looking forward to going home now."

"Well then, I'm glad, we talked about it." She keeps grinning at me and that smile is just contagious.

When we get home it's late, and we don't even unpack the car as it will all be going with us, anyway. We decide it's best to just turn in for the night, so we can get an early start in the morning.

Cat's phone chimes, and she looks at and immediately smiles. "Olivia says she and Doug are in! Maybe I can even get my brother to come!"

"Won't he feel like a fifth wheel hanging out with all couples?"

"Nah, he can bring Brittany," she tells me as I follow her into the bedroom.

"Who's Brittany?" I ask as I turn down the covers and get ready for bed.

"Some new girl my brother is dating?"

"Really? Huh? Okay. Well, it sounds like fun," I say and watch her climb into bed. I snuggle in next to her, and she wraps me up in her arms.

"You think your parents will still let us sleep together once they learn I'm not gay."

Cat giggles. "You're my fiancé. They let me move in with Liam, and he never put a ring on my finger."

I smile inwardly, knowing it's another mark I have over Liam. "Good point."

"Sweet dreams, Bright Eyes," she whispers against my chest and I feel her body relax against mine as she drifts off to sleep.

I kiss the top of her head. "Sweet Dreams, Tiger."