Chapter 40

Upon arriving home, I received a call from the funeral home, they wished to know if I was ready to meet with them. I said I must call them back as I wasn't sure what was going on with Cat and her appointment yet.

Thankfully the hospital got back to Cat within the hour and offered her an appointment next week. I think we all sighed with relief as it seriously eased up on the pressure of the entire situation.

"Looks like were all good," Cat said smiling. "We are all set up for next week and Dr. Devereaux said the delay should be fine."

I was relieved that she had already checked with her OBGYN. If she hadn't I would have suggested it, just to make certain. 

"Have you... told Liam?" I chose not to take this fight. It made sense why she'd want him there, I just didn't like it. This however, isn't about me and I'm glad I didn't get a chance to react earlier because it gave me the opportunity to sort out how I really felt.

"Not yet," Cat informed me and she didn't look happy about the prospect of doing so.

"Is there a problem?" I asked, trying to keep my cool, which is hard to do when things involved Liam. I don't like that he's still part of Cat's life. That he still has the ability to make her miserable and I can do nothing to stop it.

"No, it's just knowing him as I do, I'm not looking forward to dealing with the phone call."

"Why not text him? Keep it short. You've already told him you were possibly rescheduling. This is just a follow up," Tina suggested, which took us both by surprise as neither of were paying attention to the fact that she was still in the room. I guess with how familiar Tina seemed with the house I sort of expected her to just settle in.

Cat now looked like she was giving the suggestion some serious consideration. "You know what? That's not a half bad idea. Not that it won't stop him from calling me, but then I can deal with him when I'm a little less irritated."

"Happy to help," Tina said beaming. "So, the doctor suggested I stick to one floor since stairs could be an issue if I get dizzy. Where did you want to put me?" Tina asked.

It was a good question and I really wasn't sure. "Let's see," I said offering her my arm. "I'm not sure what my mother and father have done with Aidan's room since he left, we do also have a guest bedroom but Aidan's room would be better as it's across the hall from ours should you need immediate assistance in any way."

"Sounds good," Tina said.

"Are you both hungry? I can whip us up some lunch if you like?"

"Yes, please," I said, since Cat's returned so had my appetite.

"Anything off menu?" Cat asked of Tina.

"Nope. I'm good with whatever you make, thank you," Tina replied.

"Okay then. I'll bring it up to you when it's ready," Cat said before walking towards the kitchen.

"Thank you!" I hollered after her. Then I turned to Tina. "Ready to get settled in?"

"Yep," Tina said, she barely touched my arm as we went up the stairs. I'm guessing she wanted to test her own limits but I made certain to keep a watchful eye on her.

I lead her to Aidan's bedroom, which had been right across from mine. We had shared one room until we got older and my mother decided we needed our own space.

I missed sharing a room with him. It was one of the benefits of my parents' decision to disown him. We got to live together again. I opened the door expecting the room to be made over like my own, and all of Aidan's things removed, but I stood stunned as it was left exactly as I remembered it.