Chapter 37

I woke up disoriented. It took me a moment to realize where I was and that someone was pounding on the door. I got up rubbing my eyes and padded my way over to the door. I opened it to find a miracle on the other side.

Cat was grinning at me. "You know when your fiancé calls you with good news it's usually customary to call her back to find out what it is?" she reproached me in a teasing tone.

I couldn't say anything to overwhelmed at the numerous emotions hitting me upon seeing Cat here I just reached out and crushed her to me.

"Hey, are you okay?" Cat said wrapping her arms around me and somehow sensing I just needed her close. We stood there like this for several minutes, until I felt capable of pulling away.

Cat looked up at me her face full of concern. "What's going on?"

I took her by the hand, to lead her inside and shut the door. I refused to relinquish her hand as I led her over to the sofa. We sat down together and she's staring at me, brows furrowed. Cat stroked the side of my cheek like my mother had when we last sat here together. Cat's eyes were searching.

"Alex?" Cat probed gently.

"I hardly know where to begin," I told her.

"You look like you haven't slept in days." Both hands on my cheeks, she turned my face left and right. "When was the last time you've eaten?"

I shrugged, but then remembered. "When you and I were talking on the phone."

"That's over 8 hours ago. Do you want me to make you something to eat? Where are your mom and Tina? If they're here I'm sure I can make something with enough food for everyone," Cat offered.

I leaned back against the sofa and pulled her with me. Cat didn't fight, she instead snuggled in. "You have me really worried about you, Alex, but I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong."

"I know. I just need a moment." Every time my brain tries to answer her questions it shuts down. Like to go through it all again, even just to tell the story, means going through the emotions it may invoke and my brain just won't allow it to happen.

Cat cuddles me up like she would one of her stuffed animals and holds on tight. Which brings a smile to my lips as I kiss the top of her head. "I have the time off from school," she told me. "That was my good news. I'm here until Monday if want me?"

I squeezed her a little tighter. "Your all I've ever wanted, Cat. You have no idea what you being here right now means to me. I'm not sure I'd survive another day without you."

Cat pulled away and gave me a stern look. "Okay, now you have me concerned on several levels."

"I know. I'm sorry. I've just somehow come home and walked into my own personal hell and I don't see a way out."

"There's always a way out. It's picking the right exit that's important," Cat said and she sounded like she spoke from experience and I guess she was with what she had to deal with Dillion going to prison, her dad, and Liam.

I sat up and looked at my phone to see the time. It was now 9:30, there was no getting back to the hospital, as visiting hours were over. Tina would have to wait until the morning for her glasses. Funny how you can get over 3 hours of sleep and still feel exhausted.

"My mom and Tina aren't here. It's just you and me," I told her cautious about how to break it all down in a way that I can say it without falling to pieces.

"Okay, then let me make you something to eat and you can tell me what's been happening as you feel ready. Deal?"

"Do you mind if I make some phone calls first?"