Chapter 18

I am frantic to find him. I get a call in the middle of the night. Aiden is in trouble. I drive through the streets, I know he takes to catch the train for his ride home.

Aiden. He doesn't know where he is. I don't know where he is. I am tracking his phone, trying to get a glimpse. Anything.

"Stay with me!" I plead. "I'm close." I park the car to continue the search on foot. "What do you see around you?"

His voice sounds so weak. "It's all dark. There's... there's a dumpster near me."

Dumpster? Aiden is somewhere in a back alley. I do a quick scan of my surroundings. "I think I know where you are!" Adrenaline surges through my limbs and I take off running. There are a bunch of closed shops and restaurants across the street. He must be behind them.

I hit my flashlight on my phone and start yelling his name. "Aiden! Aiden are you here?!"

I hear a guttural moan of pain and I sprint forward. I see feet sticking out behind a green dumpster. "Aiden?!" I get around the bin, but nothing can prepare me for the sight before my eyes.

They beat him so badly his face is unrecognizable. "Jesus!" I slide to the ground next to him and gather him in my arms. "Aiden!"

"You found me," he gushes with relief. His eyes so swollen I can't tell if he is even looking at me.

"I found you." I gather him up in my arms and hold him close. I used my free hand to call 911 and request an ambulance. "Please, hurry! He's been attacked and has been beaten badly. I'm scared... I..."

"A response team is on the way, Mr. Bragin."

I hang up. I want to smooth away the bloody hair that stuck to his face, but I fear hurting him. "Help is on the way. Okay? You just gotta hold on. Please, hold on. Just a little longer," I beg.

Aiden covers my hand with his. "I...I... don't know if..."

"Shh! Save your breath," I can tell it is painful for him to talk, to breathe.

Aiden reaches up, his hand touches my face. "I'm sorry. I...love you." With those words, his hand fell from my face and I knew... I knew in that instant, he was gone.

I scream out in anguish. The paramedics found me easily then. They try to pull me away, but I fought them. "You need to let us do our job," one reasoned, dragging me away, while the other tried to resuscitate him, nothing. 

They try a portable defibrillator. His lifeless form jump, like a collapsed puppet being jerked on a string. I want them to stop. I want them to just let him be, to let me hold him again. I didn't get to say it. I didn't get to tell him... I love him, too.

All too soon, they pull that disposable yellow blanket over his body and inform the authorities. This had just become a crime scene. They hold both Aiden and me hostage until the police and coroner arrive.

"Alex! ALEX!" I am being shaken.

"What the ...?!" I try to move but can't. Dillion had my arms pinned down.

"Dude!" Dillion slowly backs off. "The way you were screaming, I thought someone was murdering you down here. What the hell is going on?"

I scramble to sit up. "I'm sorry. Did I wake everyone? I didn't hurt you, did I?"

"No, everyone else is still asleep," Dillion tells me. "I nearly took one to the jaw. You always like this when you sleep?"

I could tell his concern shifted. He knows Cat and I share a bed. Dillion is afraid for his sister.