First Letter-Father

"Up you go!" Her father set her on his shoulders as she squealed in delight. "How's the view up there?" he asked her.

"It's amazing!" Anneliese exclaimed with excitement, her eyes sparkled. They were facing the Grand Canyon from above.

"Be careful with her now," her mother remarked with a smile. "You wouldn't want her tumbling down, would you?"

"No, I wouldn't want that." He leaned forward, and Anneliese screamed.

"Nathan!" Her mother gasped in fear, and he laughed heartily. She exhaled and shook her head, and Anneliese pulled on his hair. He let out a sound of pain and chuckled.

Anneliese stared at the picture of the trio in front of the Grand Canyon. "He was always there ever since I was born...so why? Why did he leave me when I needed him the most? When we needed him the most?" she asked aloud.

She was only five when her father suddenly disappeared from her life. There was no explanation. She just woke up one day to her mother crying to herself, and her father was nowhere to be seen. She had no clue as to why it happened, but as she got older, her mother explained to her that they had gone bankrupt, and her father bailed on them.

Ever since, she vowed to search him out so that they could reconcile again; so that she could forgive him while she still could, but hatred grew in her as time passed. Her father was nowhere to be found. It was as if he was kicked off the face of the Earth.

Years passed, yet her heart was still hurting. She set the picture in the box and went to the living room. "Anneliese!" her mother called out.

"Yes, mother?" she asked.

"Have you finished packing the boxes yet?"

"Yes, mother. They're in my room," she answered. Her mother scurried out from the kitchen with a bottle of cucumber juice in hand. Anneliese saw and grimaced.

Her mother noticed and narrowed her eyes at her. "You know it's good for you," she said and gave it to her.

"Yes, yes. I know but at least make it taste better," she remarked, and her mother hit her lightly on the arm. She snickered and shoved the bottle into her bag.

"How far is the apartment?" her mother asked.

"About an hour away."

"What?! That far?" she exclaimed. "When are you leaving?"

"Next week."

"You sure you don't want to stay? We've got a nice, big house here already." Her mother frowned.

"I know but this is father's and your house. I can't live here forever." Anneliese hugged her tightly.

Suddenly, the main door opened. "Gabe, did you forget something again?" her mother asked him.

"Father," Anneliese called.

"Oh, good morning, Anneliese! Yes, Karen. Have you seen my documents from last night?" he asked.

"They're on the counter." She pointed behind her. He quickly grabbed them and placed them into his briefcase.

"Thank you, dear." He kissed her. "Have a good day, Anneliese!" He kissed her forehead and rushed out of the house in a hurry.

"I can't believe he still does that to me." Anneliese rolled her eyes.

"It's because he loves you," her mother remarked.

"I know, but I'm not a kid anymore," Anneliese stated.

"Stop fussing and go to school already," her mother remarked and sighed.