Eighth Letter-Necklace

Someone knocked on Anneliese's door early in the morning. She didn't answer, so they knocked again. "Anneliese? Are you awake?" they asked. She rolled onto her side with her back facing the door. "Anneliese?" They knocked again.

"Who is it?" she asked sleepily.

"It's your father," they answered.

Her eyes popped wide open, and she got up quick as lightning. 'Father?! What's he doing here? Mother let him in?!' she thought. She combed through her hair with her fingers and said, "Come in!" Her stepfather entered with a smile on his face. Her mood dropped when she saw who it was. 'Father as in stepfather, not biological father, Anneliese. You idiot!' she thought and rubbed her face. "Father, you're back from your trip!" she said, faking enthusiasm. She was good at faking emotions, so he would never know that she was faking it.

"Good morning, Anneliese. Did I wake you up?" he asked.

"No! Not at all. I was already awake a few minutes before you came in," she lied and scratched her head.

"I brought something back from my trip to London for you." He revealed a neatly wrapped box with a ribbon on it that was as big as his hand.

"Really? You didn't have to, father." Her brows knitted together as she looked at him.

"You won't accept it?" he asked with a frown on his face.

She shook her head. "No, I'll accept it since it's from you, father." This made him smile, and he put it into her hands. He watched as she held it. "Oh, do you want me to open it now?" she asked, wondering why he was still in her room.

"Yes, open it. I don't know if it's to your liking now that you've gotten older," he answered. She untied the ribbon and took off the cover to reveal a silver necklace that portrayed London.

 She untied the ribbon and took off the cover to reveal a silver necklace that portrayed London

(Anneliese's Necklace)

She gasped a little and covered her mouth as she took it out slowly. "It's beautiful, father!" She hugged him, and he smiled at her reaction.

"Do you like it?" he asked.

"Do I like it?! I love it!" she answered. "Help me put it on?" He nodded and put it on her. She went and stood in front of her mirror. She touched the necklace gently with a smile on her face.

"Your mother helped me pick it out for you," he added in.

"Really?" She turned around. "Thank you, father. Please tell mother I said thank you too!" Anneliese finally took in her surroundings and realized she wasn't even home. "Wait! Father, how did you get into my apartment?"

"Your mother told me the password to your lock," he answered nonchalantly.

"Father! You can't just barge into my apartment early in the morning just to give me a necklace. You should've told me beforehand so that I could've gone to your house instead."