6

For the next three or four chapters, it will be a flashback/story told by Iro. Just a little something to help you get to know Iro and his people, whom I call Precursor Elves. But the other races will know them as Dark Elves.

Fa-Lin walked through the caverns of E'egroth, the city of the Dark Elves that rested beneath the forests of Du Weldenvarden, to the house that hung like a lantern from the cavern's roof. Running up the thin staircase to the door was something that only an elf could do. A human didn't have the grace and a dwarf was just too heavy.

"Iro," Fa-Lin whispered as he opened the door a fraction. "Iro! Are you there?"

"No!" came the answer. "Iro isn't here! I...I think he went to the...went to...somewhere."

"Home?" Fa-Lin asked.

"Yes!" the voice replied, then realising his mistake too late. "I mean...No! I mean...urgh!"

Fa-Lin stepped back with a smug smile as the door opened to reveal a glowering Iro dressed in an elegant stone-grey suit. A black ruff made his white hair seem to glow with a moon-like radiance. As always, Iro wore his armoured gauntlets with fingers tipped with dragon claws. Even his stylish shoes were tipped with steel.

Iro noticed Fa-Lin raising an eyebrow at his shoes and gauntlets. "I feel better knowing that I can still fight," he mumbled. Then he looked up and saw what Fa-Lin was wearing.

A midnight blue suit with swirling patterns of gold vines along with his purple gauntlets. But where Iro's armour was designed for tearing his enemies apart, Fa-Lin's armour was designed to protect him, and anyone else he decided to throw himself in front of, from even the most savage attacks. A long, blood-red scarf hung from around his neck and down his back.

"It's not going to be that bad," Fa-Lin smiled.

"Yes, it is," Iro replied. "Everyone looks at me with pity in their eyes."

Fa-Lin reached down and grabbed Iro's hand. The two elves looked into each other's eyes with a bond that no one could understand. "And tonight," Fa-Lin told him, "They'll look at us with envy." 

Iro took a deep breath then nodded. "Then let's go."