My Hero | Fatgum x OC

Five days. Just that long since the gruesome fight with Overhaul and his ideals. So many wounded but they still came out the winner of that terrible day. Heroes, kids, civilians, none of it matter in the eyes of those inflicting the horror. With the victory came injury. Rei knew Taishiro was tough to bounce back but it didn't stop her from sleeping on her best friend's couch just to ease her own worry.

Stirred from her light slumber once again tonight, Rei's eyes fought to be open. Immediately going to the chair across the room where she expected to see Taishiro passed out like he was a few hours before hand. She sat up squinting when she realized the oversized chair was empty. The blanket was there. But it's occupant was gone.

Rubbing the tired from her eyes meant the hero looked into the kitchen across the room divider to see if Taishiro was classically just filling up. She hadn't seen him blow that much body mass in a fight since they were young and in their twenties. Expecting his growing form to be bent over the island sent knots of worry to her stomach when Rei realized he wasn't in the kitchen either. This was enough she had to get up.

Blanket draped over her shoulders Rei brought part of her bedding nest with her. Taishiro's apartment always kept chilly. Which she appreciated unless she had to wander around in it in the middle of the night. For a one bedroom apartment and an eight foot hero didn't make Rei think she would have to scour the place for him. Finally when she did find a glimpse of his blonde tuff of hair she was more than surprised to see it outside on the porch.

Hand on the sliding door handle Rei took notice of the empty take out box next to Taishiro. He'd been awake for a while. How she didn't wake up sooner made her curse herself. Inching the sliding door open with the painful noise it made to signal her arrival. Rei slipped passed the door and slid it shut behind herself without Taishrio even turning around.

Up on the eighth floor really gave the rest of the town a view. Without even having to peak at the clock Rei figured it was after three because even the late night bars across the way were closed for the night. With what lights left to twinkle across the ever waking town meant this portion of the apartment complex was illuminated just enough so she could see Taishrio staring half lidded out into the night.

Noticing he was sitting out here in just a t-shirt and boxers, Rei didn't care how much of his fat he'd gotten back. There was no way he wasn't cold so she peeled the blanket she'd packed out and draped it over his shoulders.

"...you want me to get you something else?" Rei looked at the empty container, "I could go whip something up if you'd like."

Taishiro didn't even move when she draped the blanket it over his shoulders. When he finally did make a noise it was hardly above a mumble, "No, it's alright."

He never turned down food. Something was wrong. Glancing over at the vacant look on his face, Rei took a step closer and didn't ask as she wrapped her arms around him. Even now he wasn't 100% back to himself but still she couldn't get her arms around him even if she tried. That was alright though. Rei never liked seeing him depleted. Something was wrong if he was skinny. And that was the last thing she ever wanted.

Pressing her forehead into the middle of his back Rei tightened her arms around his squishy sides and leaned her body weight effortlessly into his mass, "...how long have you been awake?"

Taishiro didn't lean back but he did slowly tip his head back to look at the pitch black sky above them, "I dunno, an hour. Two tops."

"Why didn't you wake me?"

"You just looked so peaceful sleeping, couldn't wake ya."

"Taishiro I'm here because you're supposed to wake me you dork." Rei sighed and finally released the hug. Not moving too far away though when she ruffled his hair and came to stand beside him with her hand on his shoulder, giving it a light comforting squeeze.

Taishiro didn't take his yellow eyes off the sky above them. Not a star was present with all the light pollution. But it didn't stop him from remaining looking up, "I just thought you liked sleeping on my couch. Guess I was wrong."

Rolling her eyes Rei went to look over at him as she started, "Why would I pick your couch when I have my own-"

Interrupted by the horrific visual of fat tears dribbling down Taishiro's up turned face. Rei's words faltered seeing his expression remain residual complacent while tears streamed down his pale cheeks. At a sudden lose she was about to embrace him again and try to stop the waterworks but Taishiro beat her to it.

"I- I was barely enough-" He turned his face towards her finally. Rei's heart dropping a thousand stories when tears streamed down his face and Taishiro could hardly keep his bottom lip from quiver so all he did was smile as hard as he could manage, "I'm not a hero, I can't be, kids got her because of me. Me. Because I wasn't enough."

Urgency in her touch as Rei stepped in front of him to block the vacant view of the city and grabbed his face in her palms. She was furiously shaking her head with a squeak to her voice when she denied it all, "Taishiro no- No- You know that's not true! You saved them! You kept Red Riot and Sun Eater as safe as possible in that horrible fight! You are a hero!"

Shaking his head Taishiro broke eye contact with her and lowered his head even as her touch remained on his cheeks, "I'm no hero...you can't say that when people got hurt. When kids got hurt." His voice wavered and Taishiro shut his eyes tight fighting the tears this late in the game.

Rei through her arms around his neck. The only part of him she could ever wrap her arms around. Only able to because he was sitting and eye level as rare as it was. Her arms tightened. Not even caring if she hugged too tight at this point when she buried her face into his neck, "You idiot. I was so worried! I was so worried seeing you in that hospital bed! Bandaged up like that- Exhausted like that-" Rei pulled away to replace her hands back on his cheeks. Her turn to have the tears rolling down her cheeks like a waterfall, "You terrified the crap out of me with that stupid heroic business of yours. Don't you dare say you're not a hero-" She felt her bottom lip tremble so Rei shut her eyes and pressed her forehead against his. Feeling Taishiro's arms come up around her waist to finally return the embrace. Rei leaned into him shaking her head as she mumbled, "You're a hero you big doof, every single news report supports that. Your interns support that. I support that." Rei leaned away just so she could see him inches away. Taking a deep shaky breath seeing now both of them were crying, Rei leaned in and placed the gentlest kiss on the bridge of his nose, "You're my hero, you've always been."

Stunned into his tears stopping. Taishiro's mouth fell a little open when her lips brushed his nose. Quickly looking up to Rei to realize what she'd just said too, "Y-You're hero? But you-"

"Just because I work with heroes, doesn't mean I work with my number one," Rei smiled through her tears now that she'd caught him off guard enough to stop his tears. She felt Taishiro's embrace tighten around her way and then she knew she had to.

Rei pushed herself forward. Mashing her lips onto his cold ones. Disregarding the salty residual of tears as she pressed into him and curled her arms around his neck. Leveraging herself into the kiss just as he did the same by holding her closer to his broad chest. The cold night air stolen from his lips until they were warm and tingling against hers. When the kiss broke Rei looked up to push his mop of blonde waves from his forehead. Taishiro stunned into silence as he watched her without a grasp of what to say. Rei pushed the hair away so she could place one tender kiss on his forehead as well. Her words through a faint smile as she held him tighter to her body in the cold night air, "It's you, you'll always be my hero."