Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

            The voice came back to haunt us.  “So, Kaylie you have survived Bethany’s memory!  Congratulations!  Oh, and you’ve even managed to bring back a souvenir with you, how lovely.”  I rolled my eyes and tried not to pay too much attention to the voice.  If I dwelled on the voice, it would only make him feel that much more powerful, which is something that I certainly did not want, or hope for to happen. 

            “Do you feel accomplished?  Well, you should!  Welcome to this enchanted forest.  If you venture off a little bit, you will find a tent and resources to help you to survive the night.  This is a safe zone; no lions, or tigers, or bears, oh my!  Sleep the night with our little game on pause, and I’ll wake you up in the morning for the next round!  Night!” the voice rang off. 

            I looked to Bethany and the little boy with a sigh.  This meant that there would be another day of this, and that it wasn’t over.  Not yet.  “What’s your name, by the way?” I asked the little boy.

            He smiled.  “Benny.  Hey, you know that you sound a lot like the girl who came to help me earlier, Kaylie?”

            “That was me.”  I nodded, fully admitting to the treacherous fact that I had lied to him.  “I didn’t want to lie to you, Benny, but I couldn’t let you just die.  You’re too young and have a whole life to live.  I hope that you will be able to forgive me.”

            Benny nodded.  “I forgive you and thank you for saving me, Kaylie, but I just wish that it were true.  That my papa really was looking down at me right now.”

            I shook my head and put his hands into mine.  “I’m not saying that, Benny.  I’m only saying that I didn’t hear that come from his lips.  It’s so possible that he is looking down on you, and I honestly bet that he is.  I’m certain of it.”  He gave me a tiny smile, which triggered another question.  “You kept saying something about a plan, Benny.  Would you care to explain that plan to me?  Tell me what it entails?”

            Benny sighed.  “Well, I wish that I could, Kaylie.  You see, I knew all about the plan, and that’s why my father was killed.  This voice, the one that just spoke to us, told me to go in there and fight the lion myself, which is why I did.  It was all a part of the plan, Kaylie.  I’m not allowed to tell you, otherwise I will die, and you will be threatened to die, as well.”

            “I love mysteries; reading them and watching them, but not being a part of one,” Bethany sighed.

            “Agreed,” I muttered.  We began walking further into the forest, feeling a bit more relaxed, knowing that we wouldn’t have to deal with any sort of lions or creatures for the rest of the night.  However, even knowing that, my adrenaline still hadn’t slowed down since I went to rescue Benny.  Bethany ran ahead in search of some supplies, while I stayed back with Benny, as we tried to catch our breath.

            “Thank you for saving me,” Benny smiled.

            “And thank you for saving us,” I laughed.  “It was the least we could do to repay you.”

            “It was nothing.”

            “Yeah, only our lives, no biggie.”  I laughed at how ridiculous this all was.  A young boy had just saved Bethany and my life, and then I had gone through Bethany’s memory, saving Benny through her memory.  A weird and complicated process, yet somehow I was forced to face the fact that this was my new reality.