Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

“Was wondering when you were going to get here,” a voice muttered.  I opened my eyes and looked around seeing purple walls.  A purple shade that I would recognize anywhere.  In the center of the room was a Queen sized bed with bedding that was a different shade of purple.  The room seemed so familiar to me because it was the place where I had spent countless hours alone in there, creating artwork.  I scanned the room for the owner of that voice.

Sitting in the corner of the room in my furry white chair was a young girl with dark complexion.  She had curly black hair and an award-winning smile.  For some reason, the girl seemed familiar to me, but at the same time, I had absolutely no idea who she was or where I could have met her.  Or why she was even in my bedroom?  I wasn’t supposed to have any friends, so no one should be in my room.  That was virtually against the rules.  I bit my lip and shook my finger about, as if trying to place just who she was.

“You don’t remember me, do you, Kaylie?” she asked, her face falling as if she were disappointed.  Having someone look so disappointed because I couldn’t remember their face made my heart fell.  How dare I disappoint someone in such a way!

I sighed and shrugged my shoulders.  “I’m really sorry.”

She chuckled lightly.  “Well, in all fairness, I didn’t actually expect you to remember who I am.  I was just being hopeful, so don’t be too hard on yourself.  Kaylie, I didn’t even remember you until I was transported into your room.  I found your pictures hanging on your wall, and it was then that I remembered you and everything that we went through.”

I bit my lip, feeling ashamed that I still hadn’t a clue who she was.  “I’m sorry.”

The girl smiled and extended her hand out to me.  “Hi, I’m Bethany,” she smiled, and as I shook her hand, a feeling of familiarity rushed through me.  My mind flashed back, and there we were at some sort of old arena, meeting for the first time.  Then there was the realm of blankness, the enchanted forest, the corn maze, and the village, where we had died.

“Did we…  I mean, is it possible that you and I…” my voice trailed off, searching for the right words to use without sounding creepy, or anything.  I sighed and walked over to my bed, falling over on top of it.  Bethany fell next to me and gave me a knowing glance.

“I think I know what you’re trying to say, Kay, and I really don’t know.  All I remember is a ton of pain and those flames… Then, my life flashing before my eyes.”  Bethany shivered and teared up at the memory.  I put my hand on her shoulder to help comfort her, and she reciprocated, knowing that I also needed some sort of comfort in my life.

“Can we agree that we died, then?  Is that fair to say?” I asked, trying to make sense of what was happening.

Bethany shrugged.  “If that wasn’t death, then I can’t wait to experience it,” she added, sarcastically.  “I mean, Kaylie, I was suffering.  Really suffering.  My body had gone numb and then the flames just went and swallowed my body, like it did to yours.  It was painful and the smoke had gotten to my lungs, I could hardly breathe.  Then, all of a sudden, I couldn’t breathe, and everything became really limp.  And then I couldn’t feel anything at all.”

Tears began sliding down my cheek.  “I felt your hand go limp in mine.  Not long after that, I blacked out, as well.”  We gave each other a glance before holding onto each other, crying into our shoulders.

“I wonder what happened to Benny.”

“Don’t,” Bethany pleaded.  “I don’t even want to think about him, and how he felt watching us die.  Well, at least, he’s a male, and so he won’t be accused of being a witch.  That’s one last thing for him to worry about, you know.”