Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen: Cloud Nine…?

The sunshine hurt my eyes and the flower crown in my hair was itching my scalp, but I let out a gleeful laugh.  I couldn’t tell why, it just happened, as if something else was in control of me, and I was just following along with whatever it was saying.  Like a puppet.  I looked up and saw the birds singing, flying around, and playing tag.  It was a joyous day out.  I smiled and looked around.  Why was everything just so perfect today?

“Kaylie!” some girl called out my name.  I turned around and spotted a beautiful blonde running towards me.  I threw my arm out, waiting for her to catch up with me so that we could link arms, and skip about.  It just seemed like a skipping type of day. 

“I missed you,” the girl smiled.

“I missed you, too,” I laughed, not knowing why I had.  I felt as though I had never seen this girl before, that I had no connection to her, whatsoever.  It was like my brain was telling me one thing, but the rest of me was speaking and acting on its own accord, as if it weren’t connected to my brain.  Like it had a mind of its own.  The experience was strange.

“What have you been up to?” the girl asked with a gentle smile.

My mouth began rambling.  “The other day I was walking around and met this boy named Caleb.  What a cutie!  Well, he invited me to lunch, so we grabbed some, and it was fun.  Then, the next day, I went shopping with Alicia, and later on with Mariam.  It was such a shopping day, Kai!  If only you had been there.  And so yesterday, I went to the movies with Caleb around noon, and then after that, I met up Marcus, Jack, Billie, and Sara, and we all walked to the park, then to the café.”  I was speaking of events and people that my mind didn’t have the slightest memories of, yet my mouth did.

The girl smiled, “That sounds like fun, Kaylie.”

“It was,” I moaned, apparently wishing to go back to those memories.  This life seemed nothing like mine, since mine was far from perfect.  It had so many imperfections, and since I didn’t have any friends besides Langer, none of that would have happened.  I must be having some bizarre dream.  “How was Hawaii, Kairi?”

The girl let out a laugh.  Apparently her name was Kairi.  The name rang a bell, but I couldn’t recall which one.  “It was absolutely perfect, Kaylie.  I met such a sweet boy,” Kairi sighed happily.  “Now, how’s Bethany?”

“Bethany?” I scrunched my face up.  Finally, my mouth agreed with my brain.  Who was this Bethany that they- I mean, we- are talking about?  I shook my head, giving Kairi a curious look.

Kairi’s face seemed appalled.  “Wait, you don’t remember Bethany?”

I laughed.  “No.”

“African American with the curly hair?”

“Doesn’t a ring a bell,” I admitted, shrugging my shoulders.

“Good,” Kairi laughed in a mischievous way.  “But I do?  Ring a bell?”

“A vague one, but yeah,” I nodded.  “You’re, like, a best friend, or something, right?” I asked, trying to recall the correct memory.  How embarrassing would it be if I recalled the wrong memory!

Kairi clapped her hands together.  “Ooh, great!  Then, you do remember!”

I shrugged my shoulders, “I guess so.”  But in reality, I had no idea who she was.  She says that she is my best friend, but I can’t remember her at all or any of the memories we shared.

“I heard that you fell and had really bad amnesia,” Kairi said, her eyes widened.  “I can’t believe that when you needed me, I was away on vacation!  How horrible, so if you need anything, just know that I’m here for you.”  Ah, so I was suffering from amnesia.