Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I opened my eyes and sat up, feeling the comfort of my bed underneath me.  There was a knock on my closed door, and my mom’s voice called from behind it.  “Kaylie, honey, are you awake?” she called.  This startled me, as I threw off the blankets, and went to open the door.  I stared at her with my hair all a mess.

“Mom?” I rose an eyebrow.

“Honey, do you need a few?  Your friend, Mark, is downstairs, and he wants to see if you are available.  What would you like me to tell him?” she asked, probably surprised that I had a friend to come over to see me, but she kept a sweet tone.

My eyes widened.  “Langer is here?”  Part of me just couldn’t contain my excitement, even though my head ached.  “Tell him I need to throw some clothes and take a quick shower.  Give me like fifteen,” I said, shaking my head.

“Sure,” my mom said, turning to walk away.

“Wait, mom?” I called out, feeling the need to ask her.

“Yes?” she turned back around.

“I need to know this now.  How was I born?” I asked.

My mom’s eyes widened and she let out a scared laugh.  “Do we need to have that talk right now?”

I let out a chuckle.  “No, I know that, I mean, were you expecting me?”

“It was quite a surprise, let me tell you,” my mom laughed.

I nodded.  “Oh.  So, were you… happy?”

“About having you?” my mom asked.  “Well… let’s put it this way; now your father and I are so proud and happy to have you as our daughter.  The joy of having you inspired us to have your sister, too.  We just… wish that you wouldn’t shut us out, anymore.”

“I won’t,” I shook my head, sincerely meaning it.

My mom smiled, pleased with this answer.  “Well, I’ll go tell him that you need a few.”

I smiled, ran back into my room, grabbed some clothes, and hopped into the shower.

--------------

            We were walking in the park, shoulder to shoulder, laughing.  It seemed a little too good to be true, which probably isn’t something that should happen in my life.  “Watch out, Ashley alert and her crazy cats,” Langer sighed.  And there goes that bit of perfection.

            I groaned and turned to meet her.  “Hi, Ash,” I smiled, faking my best smile.

            “Wow, a smile.  Someone’s rose from the grave,” she snared.

            I laughed.  “Yeah, but others,” I said, looking her up and down, “Still haven’t figured out how to.”

            “What’s that supposed to mean?” she snapped.

            “Stop making people feel dead, when they are so much alive.  Far more alive than you’ll ever be!” I yelled. 

She stepped back a few steps, stunned by this response.  Her posse behind her seemed just as stunned.  “Well, I’m late for my pedicure.  Something you could never afford,” Ashley laughed.

“Why spend money when mine are already good enough for me?” I crossed my hands over my chest.

“We’ll finish this later,” Ashely gnarled.

“Yeah, when you can find something to snap back at me,” I giggled.  She looked horrified that she had lost a fight and ran off, her heels clicking behind her, and her posse flattening their hair, asking her what just happened.  She was clearly annoyed.  I laughed and turned back to Langer, who looked just as stunned.

“Wow, Kaylie,” he smiled.

“I learned a few things the past few days,” I smirked.

“What do you mean?” he asked.  Then I remembered, I was the only one who knew about my journey through my paintings.  If that was even real.  Had it been a dream, or had I really met Bethany and gone on a crazy adventure?  Did I really kill people?  Had she and Benny really died?  I wiped those thoughts away from my mind.

“I don’t know.  Never mind,” I laughed.  “Want to go grab some frozen yogurt?”

He smiled.  “That would be nice.” 

I smiled back, and we began to walk back to his car, when suddenly, my phone dinged.  I checked it and found a text message from an unknown caller, from out of time.

Hey Kaylie, maybe you remember me, and you maybe you don’t.  But I remember you, and I miss you.  You were the closest thing that I ever had to a friend, even though we hadn’t quite met.  Or had we.  Was that even real?  Anyways, I’m in Ohio right now.  Call me sometime if you want.  I’d love to get together sometime, and hang out.  Normally.  Love you!  - Bethany

I read the message over a few times, a smile crossing over my face.  I clutched the phone closely in my hand, and looked up to the bright sun.  Things were finally looking up.  I ran over to catch up to Langer.  “Everything okay?” he asked.

“Perfect!” I giggled, and reached for his hand.  He looked stunned, but he held on.  He wouldn’t ever let go out of me and let me fall.  Neither would Bethany.  I finally had a place to lean back on.  Finally, it’s okay.  Everything is okay.

The End.