Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

The sky looked dark underneath the stormy clouds with no sign of a sun nor moon.  Expecting there to be loud crashes of thunder and shots of lightning, I cowered frantically behind Bethany, who gave me a look that plainly said “really”.  I just shrugged my shoulders out of fear.  There was nothing really left for me to do but accept whatever fate was throwing itself out to me.  I looked around and found myself standing on some ship’s deck with the crew all running about frantically.

I grabbed one of their arms.  “What’s going on?”

He shook his head.  “She’s a pretty nasty storm overhead.”  I breathed in deeply not liking that answer.  He seemed to feel that tension resting within me, so he let out a small laugh.

“We’ve dealt with these before.  We’ll be fine,” he smiled.

At that moment, a wooden door shot open from the deck above and out walked a female with a captain’s hat covering her face.  She readjusted her hat and allowed a smile to spread over her face.  She looked down upon the lower deck and that’s when I realized it was Kairi standing up there.  “Oh, the captain!” someone on the lower deck cried out.  Bethany quickly joined my side with her eyes in wonder, probably curious as to why there was some female as the captain.

“That’s Kairi,” I whispered to her.  She burrowed her eyebrows together, realizing that this was probably not a good thing.  If only we knew whether or not we could trust this Kairi girl.  I mean, yeah she took care of us during our time of need in that hospital room, but what if that was just a set up so that we could gain her trust?  Then now that she has it, she can tear us to pieces, if she wanted to.  A new thought crossed my head.

“What if she didn’t cure us?”

Bethany gave me a stammered look, wondering what in the world was currently on my mind.  “Kay, care to explain that theory?”

“What if she was like injecting poison into our bodies or something?  Maybe we woke up at the wrong time, you know?”

“You think so?” Bethany cocked her head to the side.

I shrugged my shoulders, not knowing what I thought anymore.  “I just think that we shouldn’t be so quick to trust people, you know?  I mean, Bethany, look at where trusting people has gotten us!  We trusted that voice and almost died.  I mean, what if Kairi is the voice, Beth!”

What happened next was completely unexpected.  Bethany stared straight at me, and said calmly, “Kaylie, I think that you need to calm down.  You’ve become far too paranoid, and we can’t have that anymore, now can we?  I want you to just cool it.”  I opened my mouth, wanting to retaliate and say something back in my defense, but I couldn’t find the words to explain just how I was feeling.  Bethany sighed and turned her gaze back to Kairi, trying to shut me, which only caused my insides to break and sweat with worry.  A new thought swept over me: what if Bethany was actually the voice?  Maybe she was acting like she was innocent as to not throw me off, when in reality, she is the one who has been tormenting both herself and me.  The only question is: why would Bethany go through such trouble just to hurt me, when we had never met before?  Or… had we?

Fear rushed through me as I took a few steps away from her.  Maybe I was just being a worry wart and too paranoid, but who wouldn’t be, keeping in mind everything that I have experienced over these past few days?  I looked back up at Kairi, as I heard her speaking.  Her long blonde hair blew in the wind, along with the fringe of her outfit.  I bit my lip, worrying over what she might say, and who I was to trust.  What if they were tag-teaming and actually working together against me?