3 - VALEFAR

VALEFAR

"His Majesty, Lord Valefar of the Sixth Spirit, King of Sloth, receives Lord Elwyth of Themia."

I tilt my head back and try to suppress a yawn as what feels like the hundredth damn lord or lady of my kingdom presents me with what feels like the hundredth damn sedan filled to the brim with cloth. Bolfri, my chancellor and the poor fellow tasked with announcing everyone who enters, glances down at me as he notices my boredom. He says nothing for now, not wanting to interrupt Elwyth.

"Good evening, your Majesty!" Elwyth bows. He's a small demon, almost an imp. I smile at his eccentric clothing. They always dress their best when I receive tribute even if it doesn't really fit them. Can a man with the legs of a dragon wear pants? Elwyth cannot. I never bothered. My breechcloth may be padded leather and silver, and may expose my furry thighs, but I'm more for functionality than fashion.

"Good evening, Lord Elwyth." I reply, then wave him on.

"I present you with our finest damask! Woven from only the best! The humans I employ in my lordship are diligent despite their sin, especially when they know a section of it goes to our great king."

It's hard not to roll my eyes. I hate quarterly tribute. The Hell am I going to do with more damask? Why don't they just pay their taxes. I want gold in my coffers, not fabric to make more curtains. Earlier, Bolfri suggested building a palace near the beach as something of a summer home, but I never saw the point. Maybe I can put all this crap to use though and build something with it.

"It's beautiful." I say flatly before waving my hand again. The servants bring the sedan to the others on the far end of the throne room, Elwyth bows, and turns to leave the throne room. Good; that means he won't request anything of me and I can get on with the next courtier.

"Before we continue, I do have news, your Majesty." Bolfri moves from the side of my throne and stands in front of me, kneeling reverently. He then tilts his head up, the voids in his eye sockets covered up by a red blindfold he insists on wearing to make himself appear less frightening to humans. "I have received word from the collectors you sent into search for the virgin sacrifice gifted to you."

That grabs my attention. I sit up straight and then lean forward, my yellow eyes going wide. "And?"

"They have found her and brought her here. As commanded she was taken into Chamberlain Lamia's care. She sends back good news that the girl, Ruth Hutchinson, is doing well and resting in your chambers. She attempted to flee several times, but the chamberlain has since been successful in keeping her calm."

"Where did they find her?"

"She arrived in the Underworld from the sea, your Majesty. The chamberlain says she was bathed and dressed before sending her to rest, but has not yet fed her. I am told she is very beautiful."

"I could have told you that." I rise from my throne. "I saw her with my own eyes. She was frightened, bound and gagged, but utterly perfect. There will be no more waiting. Put the tribute on hold, Bolfri. I'll see her now."

Bolfri nods once and resumes his spot beside me. "Will you announce her to the other rulers of the underworld? They may get excited at the prospect of people on earth reverting back to old ways."

I shake my head. "I doubt this is going to be something common. The men who gave her to me were not in a cult. They were just two idiots who wanted to rob a bank or two without getting caught. Instead of researching, they took the easy way out and sold their souls to a devil."

A smile slides on to my lips. "But they are not the ones to receive the reward. That was given to me." Without another word, I move past Bolfri and leave the throne room, letting him deal with anyone who doesn't need me to receive them. Unfortunately that won't be many people and I may be called on again. Whether or not I answer depends on how tired the prize in my chambers is.