13 - AWKWARD REUNION

RUTHIE

Valefar is the most patient demon in all of Hell. It has been weeks since the Infernal Council, when he told me I'm his fated soul mate and he wants to make me his queen, and I haven't given him an answer on what I want.

I have a couple of options. I can be his human lover, his 'consort' according to Lamia. I won't have any influence or power. I'd just get to enjoy the perks of being the king's girlfriend. Option 2 is he turns me into a shadow demon like him, and I'm crowned Queen of Sloth. The latter sounds infinitely better, but I can't get myself to pull the trigger on it. I mean... I'd be a demon. Kind of feels like turning evil.

I shouldn't care. I was an atheist before I died. My opinion on God has kind of stayed the same, that he isn't a part of my life. So what if I end up a demon that can manipulate the shadows and do cool stuff and that somehow pisses off a celestial being I'll never meet? And Valefar, he's not that evil to be honest. He's good to his people. Sloth is a flourishing kingdom! Most people who live in Sloth aren't really evil either. Relatively speaking. It's a very indirect sin I've learned. People who committed suicide, or who sat by and did knowingly nothing while others suffered because of their negligence, end up here. That's sinful most definitely but... not inherently evil. Okay, so I'm clearly making excuses for sinners, but I don't think anyone like Hitler lives here.

I wonder where he is. I should ask Vale next time I see him.

"Am I truly staring at this plate?" Lamia doesn't bother to knock as I lie on my bed, hugging a long pillow. As usual, this morning I'm alone. I'm used to it but I'll never really like it. I lift my head slightly and give off the world's dumbest grin when I see the tray of gravy filled bread bowl things. Five of them, and maybe that won't even be enough.

"I like Yorkshire puddings!" I sit up, sitting cross-legged at the side of the bed while she brings the tray over to me and sets it over my lap. "My compliments to the cook."

"You want the damn things for every meal every day. That is not healthy!"

"Variety isn't essential, Lamie. What am I gonna do, die of malnutrition?" I roll my eyes, Lamia gives me a firm tap on the cheek and then points at me.

"You never know! But all that bread is going to make you fat!"

I look down at my puddings, the realization hitting me like a sack of bricks. "... Fat?"

"Yes! You shall get fat, Ruth Hutchinson!"

"Does... Does Vale not like fat?"

"Do you want to find out?"

"Lamie..."

I can only imagine the look on my face. The thought of Valefar not desiring me anymore is a horrifying one. Tears blur my vision and I clasp my hands together, sniffling and whimpering at Lamia. "Lamie I don't want to get fat!"

Knocking the tray of puddings off my lap, I thrust my arms forward and hug Lamia desperately, sobbing into her robes. I'm a mess of tears in seconds with a pink nose to boot. The demoness stares down at me confounded, one set of hands hugging me back, a third hand petting my hair, the fourth pinching the bridge of her nose in frustration.

"My goodness, you are an emotional wreck lately." She sighs while comforting me. "Is it a human thing?"

"I don't know," I whine, looking sadly towards the puddings. I won't have to clean it up but it's still a waste and fat or not I still want them.

"Perhaps a nice walk through your clover field will make you feel better?"

I snicker a little at "clover field" but nod in agreement. A nice walk would help wake me up and clear my head. These sudden mood swings have been driving me up a wall the past few weeks. I can't chalk it up to PMS; I don't know how periods work here. Everything else seems to be normal, so why not a menstrual cycle?