9 - PROPOSITIONED BY LUST

Lamia had told me about Ifera's sad story when the council adjourned. He was like the other fallen angels; bitter and resentful towards humans. Then he fell in love with one, but she conspired to kill him and escape. Her plot was discovered though and in his rage he killed her, her conspirators, and his entire harem. It broke his heart and he forced himself into a deep sleep from which he only recently woke up.

And I guess Nero, demon name Gaap, had taken over and made a mess of things. He was exiled, but now he's back and everyone thinks he's in Sloth. Valefar promised to flush him out to avoid conflict.

Good! Now that all of that's out of the way, I have my own plans. I managed to sneak away from Lamia as she was canoodling with Bolfri, perusing the halls of this old keep to our wing. Lamia's and my room isn't far from Valefar's, but it's far enough from the main tower where I'm practically jogging to get to him in time before Lamia catches me first.

"You worry too much, my dear."

I hear Valefar's voice down the hallway, and I slow down. He's talking to someone, and I don't want to interrupt if it's Ifera or something. I take quiet, careful steps as I eavesdrop, turning a corner to where I know the door to his room waits.

I remain hidden behind it and see my king with his sister, the queen of Wrath. A frown immediately slides to my lips.

Valefar's holding Darra in a gentle embrace, arms wrapped around her waist while she encircles his face with her black-tipped hands. Even from here, the look they share seems affectionate... overly so.

"Answer my question, Valefar." I can finally hear what they're saying, as the redhead makes demands of him and he pulls her closer.

"No no, never." He answers. "You are one of a kind, my dear, I assure you. Ruthie's time here is nothing like that."

"Promise me, Valefar. Promise I will be the only one."

"I promise."

Are they getting lost in each other's eyes? Is he calling her 'my dear' even though that's what he calls me? I decide I'm not really up for hearing anymore and I spin around to sneak away. I hear them continue to talk, Darra seeming relieved and Valefar beginning to ask her about the family or whatever.

Either way, I'm so angry I could pop. When I'm far enough away I just storm down the hall, not caring who might hear or see me. Nobody holds their sister like that. Nobody talks to their sister like that. Nobody coos about how she's his one and only, and how I'm nothing. I thought he was avoiding me sexually to give me time, and waiting for me to ask him like he'd joked about. Apparently no, he just uses sex to torture his victims and leads them on. Ifera was right, Valefar's not to be trusted.

My eyes well with tears. First Jason, now Valefar. But Valefar's betrayal stings far worse. I'm not quite sure why, but this need to be around him has turned into an ache in my chest like he broke my heart. Jesus, I've only known him a few weeks. Not as long as Jason and I'm already over that prick.

Someone's coming down the other end of the hall and my stomping lightens up a little. He's not as tall as the other demons I've seen, only a few inches taller than me, and he has soft white hair and lavender skin. His horns aren't crystalline like Ifera's are, but the dark indigo hands and the scandalously open, billowy shirt he wears lets me know he's from Lust. Yes, I remember him from the council!

"Ah! Just the person I was looking for," He smiles, walking right up to me and taking one of my hands. "I am Donatien of the Twenty Third Spirit, Chancellor of Lust. I'm afraid none of us were privileged with yours, however."

"Ruth Hutchinson the virgin," I mutter with far less bravado. "Uhm, how can I help you?"

He offers his arm and I take it, following him further down the hall. "You heard the troubles of my beloved King, did you not? He exiled the contemptable Gaap, who is now skulking about in Sloth."