14 - RUTHIE OF ACEDIA

"I said NO!" I scream out. A loud, booming, angry scream that's powerful enough to make the ground shake and send Jason and Sean flying across the room. I hear the wind knocked out of them as they slide down the walls, as well as muffled growling that I assume is Lamia as she becomes aware of something happening.

With the two jerks out of the way, I'm focused on Gaap. I can't name what's come over me, but it's a mix of indignant rage, desperation, and a protective instinct I didn't know I had. Before I realize it it, I'm on my feet and tackling him to the ground; shadows surround my peripherals like tunnel vision. Gaap stares up at me in confusion while I try to wrestle the knife away from him. Jason leaps on top of me to try and get me off his new master. My hands are too focused on Gaap though, so I simply summon another pair of hands from the darkness to grab Jason's neck and fling him off of me again. I feel the icy cold fingers wrap around his throat, stifling his shocked yelp as it pins him to the wall and holds him there. I manage to pull the knife from Gaap's hand and jump to my feet. He's nimble though, so when I send the shadows his way he's able to dodge their attacks. His wings flare out and he crouches low to the ground, tilting his head at me.

From the corner of my eye the darkness recedes and I see Sean has Lamia, an arm wrapped around her neck with a dagger pressed against her throat. Her hands are still bound.

"One more move and I slit the bitch's throat!" He growls.

Sean disemboweled me, kidnapped me, and is threatening my friend. He needs to die. I surround myself in shadow, backing away slowly, and he begins to look around as tendrils of darkness creep towards him.

"Where did she go!?"

"Sean, look out!" Jason manages. It's too late; the tendrils grab Sean at every angle, wrapping around his arms and his legs, his wrists and thighs. They pry him away from Lamia who drops to the floor and struggles in her chains.

I hear Sean's screaming, but don't bother to watch. I rush over to Lamia and try to get her out of her restraints. They're iron chains. I was only restrained with rope, so I frown a little and summon the shadows to help me pull a few links. They're strong, but not strong enough. The chains break just as I hear a final scream from Sean. Something warm splatters across my back as I help Lamia to her feet. At once, the shadows recede back to me. She easily removes the gag, blindfold, and the plugs from her ears, looking around with those big black eyes.

"In all my years," she whispers. "Ruth Hutchinson, is that you?"

"What? Of course it's me!" I reply, then turn around and see Gaap looking down at Jason, who's been released but can't pry his eyes from the center of the room. The incubus straightens up to a full stand as he folds his hands behind his back and smiles.

"M-My Lord..." Jason sputters out, holding his neck. "She... she fucking... Look what she did to Sean... How the fuck did she do that?"

I turn my attention to where he's staring, and wince a little. Sean lies in pieces on the ground, blood still oozing from the ends of his limbs where they were torn from his body.

"It is the power of a shadow demon," Gaap replies, flicking his gaze over to me. "It seems our captive here made a decision, whether she realizes it or not, to turn."

"What?" I look at Lamia, who's still regarding me with an odd curiosity, then down at my hands.

They're black. Pitch black, like they've been dipped in that Stuart Semple paint that's so black no light can penetrate it.

"You are a captive no longer, girl." Gaap gets my attention again. "As a sign of good will, I will leave your friend Jason here with you. Do with him as you like, and I will take my leave."