12 - DAMAGE CONTROL

VALEFAR

Fuck, I'm distracted today. I should have shut Ruth up. I should have grabbed her and made her sit down. Instead, I just stared at her gorgeous face as she spoke, fascinated by her soft pink lips, by the slight shimmer of her sleeves when she'd move her arms. All the while she was fucking up Cain's and my plans to put Gaap on the throne. Well, I suppose she wasn't really fucking them up, just making it harder for us to still want to do it. Me, at least. I can be persuaded, but Cain hates all fallen, and even a shitty human-turned king is better than a good fallen angel king to him. As we walk to some privacy outside the keep, I can feel the heat radiating off of him. My sister didn't accompany us which doesn't bode well for me. She could have stopped this man from incinerating me if he gets angry enough.

"Tell me right now if what she said has swayed you in any way from our plans." Cain finally says, calm as ever. It's the calm before a storm. I clear my throat and fold my hands behind my back, within reach of my daggers just in case.

"She claimed she studied him. We, however, witnessed him. I've only seen him in two councils but both times he was quite annoying. He tried stealing Darra from Malthus, remember? Ruth's information did match up with what we've seen. Perhaps... perhaps we might not be able to control him like we thought we did."

Cain's skin turns a little redder. "Mortals could not control him, Valefar. We are not mortals anymore."

"Neither is he. If you want so badly to rid Lust of Ifera, we could look elsewhere. Donatien is loyal but I doubt he'd ignore a grab for power if we help him. And there are others. It doesn't have to be Gaap simply because he's the most convenient."

Just a tad redder. It should be surprising that the king of Sloth is the one speaking about diligence and effort, and I'd laugh to myself if Cain didn't look like he was about to throw me through the wall.

My hands grip the hilts of my daggers as Cain comes to a stop and closes his eyes. Slowly, he takes a few deep breaths as his coloring returns to normal.

"Good pussy will make a man do some crazy things." He finally says.

I scoff. "Good pussy made you start – and stop – an invasion on my kingdom, Cain."

"It was not your kingdom at the time." He waves his hand. "You've confirmed Gaap is in Sloth, correct? Then I will leave it in your hands. Observe him, perhaps speak with him, and you let me know your final thoughts on him. If your Ruth is correct and he is no good for us, I'll support sending him to Ifera."

Nodding, I reach out and clasp Cain's forearm. He does mine in return. We part ways and I head towards the caravan prepped to take us all back home. I'm excited to see my Ruthie, congratulate her on charming the entire council in a matter of days, and then kiss her until she's breathless.

And then some other things, too.

The guards turn to face me as I arrive, Lamia and Bolfri bowing while Focalor salutes with the rest of his soldiers. I pass by all of them with a nod as I step into my carriage and find Ruth sitting in the seat opposite me.

"You. My lap. Now." I give her a playful growl as I reach for her. She giggles, quickly adjusting her dress so she can straddle me. God how I love her laugh, and it's even prettier when there's no nervousness behind it.

"Your seats are so weird, I can't get used to them!" She nuzzles up against me.

"Goetic demon, my dear." I remind her before pulling her into a heated kiss, claiming her mouth and swallowing up a moan she lets escape. My erection presses up between us while my hands slide around her waist and give that perfect ass a little squeeze.