.twenty three

Days passed without a word from the workers and yet none of them had been killed either. It seemed as if they had become as confused as Mason because the longer that it took for someone to kill them the more refined and restless they become.

"Why isn't he killing them Cyan?"

"Do you want him to?" Cyan muttered boredly.

"No, it's just strange."

Cyan shrugged his shoulder, taking the methadone pill that Mason had given him and downing it with water. The dark circles under his eyes were only getting darker and the male looked exhausted. The lack of drugs though was making his skin hold onto more water, his face starting to glow but the lack of sleep was only taking the drugs place in his appearance.

"Well have you found out anything from the workers or are they all remaining radio silent."

Mason's frown showed his answer as he rubbed his face with his palms. "I just don't understand why, I guess. I get it, their scared of what Elliot will do if he finds out, but we have the means to protect them."

"Like you protected Vanessa?" There was an tone of bitterness in Cyan's voice as he spoke the name, not towards the girl but towards Mason. Was he frustrated that she had told? Yes, but after giving the situation time to think over, Cyan realized that it wasn't her fault. She was scared. She panicked. Fear was a hell of a thing, especially when your life was the thing being threatened. Cyan had too much loyalty to make himself believe that it was Elliot's fault, although in his heart he knew it was, so he placed the blame on the people who had forced her in a corner and had caused her death.

He was too tired to be pissed at Mason through his actions but his voice held enough resentment by itself. Enough that when Cyan had looked over, he could see the regret and guilt on Mason's face. He didn't care though, because no matter what the girl had done, she was still one of his best friends.

"We had no control of her death...."

"Exactly. And if Elliot wanted to come back and kill me, you would have no say in that."

Mason looked up at Cyan, worry and slight fear taking on his expression, his subconscious confused onto why. Why did he care enough about Cyan to fear for his life? Was it because he had found out what happened to him? Sure he felt pity towards the male, an emotion that Cyan definitely wouldn't appriciate, but that wasn't the only thing there. It was a deep, genuine care for Cyan as a person and the want for him to be okay.

"Stop looking at me like I'm some kicked puppy asshole." Cyan said but without much malice. "I doubt Elliot will come for my life, your shitty case won't be ruined."

"That's..." Mason stopped himself from saying what he was going to say. Cyan was only here because of the case, not so that Mason could form some type of bond with him. After all of this, Cyan would be extremely lucky not to face jail time for his help with Elliot, that was if the jury found him guilty in his own trial. The fact that he was helping the police would reduce it tremendously but a couple of years would still be given. Like mother like son.

And suddenly, Mason didn't want Cyan to go to jail.

Mason still wanted both of them to reunite with one another but not separated by glass. He was getting to the point of emotional attachment and that was the worse thing that could happen at this point.

"Fuck." He muttered, holding his head. He needed someone else to take over the case now that his own biases were interfering with rational thinking. He needed it to happen but he didn't want for that to happen. There was a reason that he wanted to catch Elliot so bad and he would never be able to forgive himself if he had just gave up that reason.