nulla.

The capital bustled below the castle tower and that of the Vaprans remained in high spirits despite the frigid airs of Ha'rar. Soraya sat quietly across from her youngest sister whom doodled upon the parchment of her journal, in her own hand was a teacup filled with spiced adeldum tea a favorite and well prized drink amongst the Sifan. Seladon and Tavra stood a few feet away in a disclosed one-sided discussion loud enough for anyone to nosey in. "I don't see why she distrusts me with the closures. I have been to the meetings, those awfully boring meetings and 'am more than capable of taking the responsibilities into my hands." Seladon scowled to no one in particular while Tavra never once halted in the sharpening of her blade.

"I'm reliable, capable and well off to carry out such duties yet mother refuses to see that!" The sudden increase of Seladon's tantrum startled Brea so slightly that the colored pencil in her grasp jerked a bright orange line across her page. "Oh..." Soraya eased her gaze from that of her closed lids to the deep root color of her drink. "Calm, Seladon. It will do you no good throwing a fit." But her twin was having none of her balmy talk. "Grand of you to say dear sister but need I remind you that mother see's you and Brea as her favorites-"

"Oh do not start on this, Seladon." Tavra sighed but her plea fell on deaf ears. "-and that places all the tedious work onto me!" Soraya placed her cup down onto the table with a quiet 'clink'. "Mother has no favorites and if I am mistaken- you are the one to beg at her side for such tedious doings. Do not put your ill onto me for what you have wanted." Seladon's face grew redder than the changing of season's in the Dark Woods. The room grew silent once the door to the day room slammed closed. Brea sneaked a wide eyed glance at her eldest sister and saw her resuming the enjoyment of her tea. Tavra turned, lime stone in hand while her sword balanced upon a single knee. "I know you have words, Tavra."

"It was nothing but truth but did you have to say it." Soraya took a sip then another, the spice of cinnamon and elderberry curling around her tongue. "Better me than mother." As if on cue, the doors flew open and in walked the All-Maudra nerves worn just as thin as her eyebrows. "What is the matter with Seladon?"

"What isn't the matter with her?" Brea piqued rolling her eyes upon a sigh. "Brea, hold your tongue. You will not speak down upon your sister." All-Maudra casted a stern gaze towards her daughter who grumbled into the pages of her journal. "She's just feeling... a bit underappreciated is all." Tavra spoke up, sword placed neatly back into it's leather carrier. "Hm, underappreciated? Nonsense, I give her the assignments she asks for- the work for the future All-Maudra is not of little attention." Soraya remained silent while her mother droned on about the stress and upkeep for being the next leader, eyes seeking out the calm of the scenery beyond the window.

Unbeknownst to them, Seladon stood outside the day room tears welling and falling at the words of her mother. Was her approval even worth it anymore?

---

Soraya's bare feet glided silently over the cold floors of the spacious hallways. Their home was not immaculate like the castle reserved for their lords but it was befitting to the next in line of authority. The cool air was nothing new as it's crisp curls flowed between the fabrics of the princesses night gown. Seladon had wandered from their shared bed chamber and had not returned. Despite the miniscule upset earlier in the day, the eldest sister held nothing against her twin. She knew of her yearning for their mothers approval, a simple 'good work, Seladon' or perhaps 'you've done well, my daughter'. All children craved for the sediment, to be proud of. Seladon was no different.

The day room was empty, the dressings closet deserted, the balcony garden bare of any life but it's own which left one room devoid of any movement late into the night, the throne room. In her hand was a single lantern as she slowly pushed the door open only enough to slip past without bringing attention. Seladon stood in the center, head tilted up to face the night sky which shone brightly through the glass panes on the ceiling. Her arms wrapped around her torso tightly as if the touch of her own arms would shed enough comfort to ease her woes. Soraya placed the lantern down on the ground, careful to not make an abrupt sound that would startling her beloved sister. "I knew I'd find you here."

"Was that before the dressing closet or after the balcony?" Seladon glanced over her shoulder slyly. Much like Soraya, Seladon was quick witted especially when it came to her twin. The eldest moved gracefully across the throne room till she came to stand huddle against the back of her sister, arms encasing the youngest twin in an affectionate embrace. "Remember the story father used to tell us about the love between the sister stars?" Seladon hummed, a small smile gracing her lips. "How could I forget? Stella would travel far and wide across the expanse of space to seek out her beloved sister, Luna." Soraya and Seladon knew the story like the back of each other's hands. "Every night she awoke from her slumber to begin her journey and no matter how close she got- she could never reach the body of Luna. Yet Stella never stopped trying, for her hope kept her going." The latter turned around and the eldest took the opportunity to grasp her sisters hands in a gentle vice before twirling the duo around the throne room. "What of the story?" Seladon made no move to stop and rather enjoyed the billow of their night gowns and the patter of their feet. It brought on the memories of their childling years in which they danced till their little feet grew numb. "No matter how hard it seems to reach what you seek, never give up hope." Seladon slowed in her footing until she came to a stop, Soraya following behind.

"What if that of which I seek refuses to accept that I have reached it? Was my journey not enough?" Soraya took her sister into her arms at the first fall of tears and held her till her weeping stilled and all that remained was soft sniffles. "Seladon, I know mother is blinded by what you do for her and how much you wish to be acknowledged. But do not think your moil is in vain. She will see it dearest sister, if not now then soon."

×

" A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves- a special kind of double. "

-Toni Morrison

×