X.

Sixty one trines before

One of the hardest parts of being a gelfling graced with wings was learning how to use them. Maudra Mayrin was heavily pregnant with her third bairn and it wasn't easy having to juggle between the duties of the All and two rambunctious childlings who insisted on wanting to fly yet cried at the prospect of actually having to use their wings. "Come now, Seladon. How do you expect to learn if you won't try?" Seladon, at the small age of fourteen trines old cowered atop a stack of books, her tiny arms had a vice like grip around one of the column's of the grand library. "Isn't there another way? Why can't I start from the ground and try?" Mayrin shook her head, the All-Maudra had ditched her normal dress and headwear for a simple gown of unamoth silk and her hair which waa usually kept up in a braided ponytail fell past her shoulders like the mist which stirred from a winter's waterfall.

Being pregnant requires comfort- and she really needed it during this third one. Her husband never paid no mimd though as her figure swelled and the grace she bore on the tips of her toes became waddles. Mayrin often teased him that he liked seeing her heavy with his bairn rather than with her normal lithe body. He would only laugh as he rubbed the tightened swell of her abdomen, cooing against the fabrics of her nightdress as if he was truly talking to the unborn child. "You have to learn how to glide, to take the wind through each fold of your wings. If you can do that then you will be able to keep yourself suspended. Starting from the ground will not teach you this, Seladon." Seladon took a peek over the book stack and for some reason the floor and her mother grew farther away. Whimpering, the princess clung back onto the pillar, eyes shut tightly.

Mayrin sighed then looked off to her right. Surrounded by books and a single cup of tea was her eldest daughter, the first of the pair of twins to be born- Soraya. She had already learned to fly several trines ago but never found use in it for she rather liked staying put on the ground where she could read and drink tea because in her words 'you can't enjoy your tea when bugs fly into it or read if the pages bend and wrinkle.' Soraya was never interested in anything unless it required one of her interests- reading or tea. "Soraya, I believe your sister could use a bit of a push. Why don't you go up there and talk to her, hm?" Soraya glanced over her shoulder, then back at the book in her lap. Landstrider Keeping- she would have to revisit it later one when she had some time to herself.

Soraya's wings unfolded from beneath her tunic and with a small jump- she flew up to where her twin was cowering. "Seladon, take my hand." The youngest twin peered over at her sister then to her outstretched hand. No matter the circumstance, time or place- Soraya was always there for Seladon. To comfort her, to make her laugh, to tell her stories, to help her no matter the task. Seladon slowly peeled her arms away from the pillar. "Don't let go." One shaking hand was placed into the palm of Soraya's where she held the appendage snugly. "Never, dear sister."

Both stood at the very edge of the book stack where they could have perfect view of Mayrin. "Release your wings, Seladon. Let them flutter and when I say jump- you jump, okay?" Seladon squeezed her sister's hand for it's warmth was what kept her at bay. Much like their mother instructed, Seladon released her wings and gave them a shake. Soraya watched then gave her sister a small nod. "Ready?"

"I don't think I ever will be."

"Then you will never learn- jump!" Seladon was not expecting the sudden command nor was she ready to be hurled off the stack of books. Her scream was enough of an alarm and Mayrin felt blood run cold watching her two daughters fall from the books. "Wings! Use your wings- Oh Thra-"The All-Maudra had drew her own and was ready to fly up and rescue her childlings but suddenly their descent halted. Looking closer, Soraya was hovering in place and across from her was Seladon with her eyes the tightest they ever been shut yet she was hovering much like her sister.