XIII.

The inner dwellings of the Great Smerth were illuminated by various lanterns which hung on strong twine from the wooden ceilings until the transport path opened up to a large area where many gelflings danced, laughed and chattered amongst themselves over various campfires. It was definitely foreign to the tables and chairs that the Vapran sat upon- the Drenchen preferred sitting upon the soil and eating with their hands. Naia from a short distance waved them over to the entrance of another hallway- could it even be called that? Soraya tried her best to blend in but it seemed that even the several day old grime which caked her clothes wasn't enough to pass unseen, maybe it was her hair- although it needed a good wash, the silvery-lilac of her locks stood out most like an eyesore. And to the Drenchen, it was. Many of those she passed by seemed to pause in their conversations or during a mid-bite to gawk at the princess who merely bowed her head at them as she tried to hurry her steps. Gurjin followed behind, flashing a wide smile to those who greeted him and patted him along his shoulders.

The casual chattering died down to whispers as the pair made their way around each huddled group. "A Vapran?"

"What is she doing here?"

"Far away from home that gelfling is."

Soraya released the breath she held within her chest out just as she reached Naia, the other left out a small laugh. "Don't worry, princess. Our people are harmless- unless given a reason not to be. But you should be fine- let's go." Naia disappeared down the hallway, passing under the same lanterns used in the entrance tunnel every so minute. Gurjin nudged the princess forward with two fingers on her shoulder blade. "It'll be alright- I'll be right behind you." Soraya had never truly felt the cold drizzle of nervous sweat before but maybe that was because she hadn't met the Maudra of the Drenchen. The princess kept her fingertips brushing against the rough walls, a safe guide for her in the barely illuminated tunnel.

Naia stood waiting before a large doorway, eye's casted towards her brother who stood suspiciously close to the princess- far to close. "Be aware of your steps, Gurjin. Mother will be watching." Gurjin frowned. "She's always watching, Naia... I'm sure she knows we are standing here right now."

"That's not what I meant." Naia gave the doors a hard shove, the weight of the wood giving a baritone thrum as they slowly departed to reveal a throne room. Against the wall to the left sat a single wooden throne overgrown with weeds, wild flowers and moss. Across from the throne at the other end of the room was a desk messy with parchment, scrolls and various vials of ink. The only source of light in the room was from a large hollow hole in the wall across from them and there sat a table with two chairs succumbing to the overgrowth of moss- and two figures occupied said chairs and table.

"Mother." Naia quickly made her way into the room just as an older female gelfling arose from her chair with arms widened. "Naia, my child. It is a sight to see your return." Maudra Laesid engulfed her eldest daughter in a hug before casting her eyes towards Soraya and Gurjin who stood just a little ways away. "And I see you brought your brother back home safely." Gurjin stepped forward to lean down and give his mother a gentle squeeze and a kiss on her forehead. "She'd bring me back here whether it was only a leg left of mine." Naia elbowed his side in which he shoved her slightly in retaliation.

"Enough, you've been here only for a short time and I'm already tired of you." Maudra Laesid narrowed her eye's at the twins unaware of the third guest standing in her throne room- or perhaps she did know. "Come now, we have a guest." A deep voice like the pounding of a drum remarked from the other chair of the table. Standing the figure turned, a mane of dreads and braids fell at his waist and Soraya could have sworn she was looking at Gurjin but only older. The male gelfling was an exact replica of the former castle guard or rather Gurjin was the clone of him- he stood taller than Gurjin whom was already a towering height, with a bulky body and closely cut facial hair that only extended from one side of his jaw to another. Maudra Laesid frowned, her eyes scrutinizing every fibre of Soraya like an optical interrogation. "Who is this? You know better than to drag helpless gelflings through Sog for enjoyment."