VIII.

Common sense was deciding to start in the place they were already at but gelfling sense- especially that of a certain Drenchen was backtracking their journey to the previous starting point... The Dark Woods. "We've wasted daylight and time coming back here when the opportunity to inform the Dousan was right in our grasp." Naia muttered, her bare feet resonating pleasant crunching from dried leaves on the ground. "Would you rather wait for another crystal skimmer to come for us? Because I doubt they would notice us without anyway of actually knowing we were there." Gurjin huffed from the head of the gelfling queue. "Elder Eridya might have known- since she is a shaman she could have seen what we already know." Kylan interjected from behind Naia. "I still think we should have stayed."

Soraya had taken the caboose of the queue, the best spot to let her mind wander over the events of the past day and what is lying in wait ahead. With the death of her mother, betrayal of her sister and exile from her clan the eldest princess felt the pressure of her duty to the resistance. If she was to back out now then she was one less in the numbers who stood for the voice of change- for Thra. Seven clans stood unaware of the deception fed into their meals, taught into the minds of old and young, abused before the eyes of all yet that was the way- their way. Unfortunately the All-Maudra died without the chance to spread even a sliver of the truth- that is where Brea and Soraya came in.

"Do you even know where you are going?" Naia never missed a beat when it came to teasing her brother although she was genuinely asking a rather serious question. "Of course I do- how hard could it be to find Stone-in-the-Wood." Gurjin had no clue where they were or what they were to find when they got to- well, wherever. Soraya narrowed her eyes, the Drenchen castle guard was as bright as the Caves of Grot- which were in fact bathed in darkness... for the most part. "Meaning you have no clue on where we are going." Naia noted with an impassive tone, typical Gurjin. "Must you question my leadership skills?"

"It's not my fault you lack any sense."

Soraya couldn't help the snicker that bubbled past her lips causing Kylan to clear his throat of oncoming chuckles. This argument seemed all-to familiar but with the roles reversed, nonetheless it was quite humorous. "Lack any sense? What's that supposed to mean?" Gurjin back-kicked a rock which he intended to hit his sister with but she easily side stepped the projectile leaving the poor songteller in it's path. "Oh!" Right into his shin did the sediment mound hit causing the Spriton to trip up and almost land on the princess behind him. "It means what I just said- you lack sense. In better words... you lack a brain."

"Well if you're so smart then by all means- lead the way." Gurjin paused, turned to face his sister with an arm outstretched beside him. "I'm not familiar with the Dark Woods." Naia merely blinked while inside she ate up the torture she brought upon her twin. "Then no more-"

"Neither are you, Gurjin." The poor Drenchen was already tired from the hike yesterday and now he had to suffer the banter of his sister regarding his lack of direction- was Thra angry at him? Was it because he stole the Skeksis' food off the plate carriers the podlings had just made? Was it because he drank mulbeer on the job and often passed out drunk because patrolling was the most boring waste of time? Gurjin slumped in his spot- he wanted to go home. Soraya moved to the front with quiet grace, even with her feet bare of slippers. "If it offers some respite- I could fly up and see if we are any closer to Stone-in-the-Wood." The twins glanced at one another then at the princess- Naia would have done that but her wings served better for swamp water then air. "That sounds better than just walking around blindly in the forest." Naia narrowed her eyes back at her brother who huffed none to loudly. "Guess that means we are settling for the night? How does broth sound?" Kylan was quick to plop on the ground, hands rummaging through his satchel.