seven

David and I split a twenty piece chicken nugget, and he took me home. I didn't get away without questioning, though.

"Who was that that dropped you off? I thought you were supposed to be hanging out with Ester," it was my dad asking the questions, surprisingly. He was never as crazy as my mom about me and my brother's whereabouts, but it seemed seeing me with a boy had changed that.

"I was. That's Ester's older brother. Ester was asleep and I didn't want to wake her up, so he offered to drive me home," I explained, feeling the heat coming to my cheeks. I hated lying to my dad. He was the one person in this house that tried even a little bit to be nice to me, and he really didn't deserve to be lied to.

But, if I told him, I also told Ben who was sitting in the living room watching my every move, and he didn't need to know the details. I was casually and tastefully flirting, not really expecting it to go anywhere, but it kind of did.

"You know him well?"

"Not really. I'm Ester's friend, not David's," I answered semi honestly. "Does it really matter?"

"You shouldn't let strange boys give you rides, Honey bear. You never know what their intentions are."

"Dad, he's my friend's older brother. If he killed me, I think she'd know," I told him in a sassy tone, unable to deal with the interrogation.

"Next time, call me and I'll give you a ride."

"Didn't you have a flat tire?" I countered, annoying that he didn't trust me, even though I was lying to him. "It was one car ride, Dad. He's not going to impregnate me from the driver's seat."

"Honey Vanilla Johnson," my mom gasped from her place in the kitchen, where I could see her washing dishes. "No, ma'am."

"Go upstairs before she takes your phone," my dad warned me, a smile on his face. He never failed to get me out of trouble.

"Love you!" I giggled, taking my chance and sprinting up the steps before my mom could dry her hands to come yell at me further. Once upstairs, I took a shower and prepared myself for bed, even though it was only a little after six. Being in the sun all day absolutely exhausted me.

I ate a small dinner and went to bed pretty early.

By Monday morning, I had kind of forgotten all about my afternoon with David. He hadn't.

I noticed his glances at lunch becoming more frequent and more painfully obvious. He wouldn't stop staring, and I was beginning to get nervous. Though technically nothing had actually happened between us, I still felt like I betrayed Ester in a way by not telling her I hung out with him in the first place. Plus there was the issue of Ben, who was sitting right across from him. If Ben knew David was even looking at me in a way that wasn't friendly, I was sure he'd kill him.

Though me and Ben weren't each other's biggest fans, we were siblings and we loved each other. He was overprotective of me, especially since what happened at our other schools. He didn't want me to be used, which I appreciated, but it was a little much sometimes. I was worried about what would happen if he spotted David giving me the look from across the cafeteria.

Lunch was almost over when Zane, Todd, David, Corinna, Natalie, and Ben stood to leave. I noticed when David walked by our table, he carefully slipped a folded up napkin into the empty chair next to me. No one else noticed, but I did. I quickly grabbed it and placed it in the front pocket of my bookbag.

In my next class, away from Ester, I unfolded it.

Meet me in the library after school.

That was it. There was no signature, no other markings, virtually nothing to let me know it was truly meant for me, but somehow, I knew. There was just something about me and David. Nothing had even happened, but when I read the words, my breath still got caught in my throat.

He was lucky that Ester was starting volleyball practice this afternoon after school, and Dad and Ben were busy with football. I had to sit in the library anyway. I wasn't sure if he knew that or not, but if he didn't, it was a hell of a coincidence.

The rest of the day went by quickly, too quickly, as I waited to meet David in the library. I was nervous for no reason. David and I were friends. If anything, he probably wanted to talk to me to tell me that he wasn't interested and I needed to stop flirting with him. Nothing was going to happen, and yet, I sat in my last three classes with sweaty palms and a wandering mind.

When the last bell finally rang, I placed all my books in my bag and took my time in getting to the library. I didn't want to be there first and look like I was just waiting for him. When I finally reached the room, I found David in a back corner, pretty much hidden from the view of the librarian, Mr. Thompson, sitting behind the desk.

He smiled when he saw me approaching and said, "I see you got my note."

"Yeah, real subtle," I wasn't always very sarcastic, but something about David brought it out in me. "Did you want something?"

"Sit," David patted the table, and I sat where he pointing, knowing Mr. Thompson couldn't see us to yell at me. "I wanted to hang out with you."

"Me?" I couldn't help my blush, my previous confidence dissipating as quickly as it came. "Um, why?"

"Because I like you. You're fun to be around," his voice was so matter of fact that I believed he was telling me nothing but the truth.

"Why are we meeting in the library?" it was a question that deep down, I knew the answer to. There was a reason we weren't sitting on the bleachers watching football practice or waiting in the cafeteria with all the other kids who didn't have rides.

"I think you already know the answer to that."

And I did.

"Ben is going to kill you," I said with a small shrug, grinning as a carefree smile took over his face.

"You know, Honey? I think that's a risk I'm willing to take."

OKAY that was cute

Vote and comment

Love u guys

Xoxo abby