seventeen

DAVID

God, this is not good.

That was all I could think as I strolled down the beach with Honey. She didn't know how to walk in a straight line, always veering closer to me at any chance she got. She laughed like how I imagined a princess would, her nose ever so slightly scrunching up and her head tipping back. Her blonde hair blew too perfectly in the wind. She blabbered on about how glad she was that we weren't in the house anymore, and her hands just barely grazed mine every time she slung her arms back and forth. She kicked water with every step, giggling as it splattered a few feet away from us.

It was not good, none of it. She was too pretty, too perfect. I couldn't even bare to look at her for too long that night on the beach. We weren't even properly dating, and I didn't want to say anything to scare her off.

"Do you believe in Bigfoot?" she asked randomly, staring up at me like the answer to that pointless question meant everything to her. It was precious. She was precious.

"No. Someone would've caught one by now."

"I agree. Totally fake," she nodded her head with the finality I knew she felt. One person in agreement with her, and she felt there was no way she could be wrong. "But mermaids, though."

"Fake," I tried to hide my smile at her completely shocked and devastated face. "Are you serious? There's nothing different about Bigfoot and mermaids."

"Mermaids live in the ocean," she kicked some water for emphasis. "The ocean is so big and so unexplored. Imagine all the things down there that we've never seen. Like mermaids."

"You make a strong point," I grabbed her by the wrist to stop her from moving forward, then pulled her close to me by her hips. "I believe in mermaids now."

"No, you don't," she blushed, unable to meet my eyes. I used one of my hands to lift her chin so she'd look at me.

"You are quite possibly the prettiest girl that has ever walked this earth," I told her, and truly meant every word. She looked away, her cheeks turning even deeper red. "I'm serious, baby. You're stunning. Absolutely breathtaking."

"Stop," she giggled, her hands covering her cheeks. "You're pretty cute, too, you know."

"I'm way more than pretty cute," I hoped to lighten the mood so she wouldn't be so nervous.

"Don't get too cocky, now," she grinned, wrapping her arms around my neck and standing up on her tip toes. She still only came up to my nose, which was just too cute. "No one likes cocky boys."

"Really?" I leaned down a bit so we were face to face. "Because you just can't seem to get enough of me."

She leaned up and kissed me, sealing the deal. Her lips tasted like lemonade and cherry chapstick. Her mouth curled into a smile against mine. I was screwed.

Someone—Ben or Ester, whoever got to me first—was going to fucking kill me. Not to say I didn't deserve it, but God, how can you be expected to resist a pretty girl that smells like vanilla and tastes like summer?

HONEY

"So, then, John grabbed my hips and pulled me on top of him and was like you're not getting off that easy, and I was like oh, I'm not?, and he was like not a chance," Ester smiled as she recalled the story to me from the top bunk back in our hotel room. She had to keep her mouth shut the entire way home, and I could just tell she was bursting at the seams with information. "We kissed for, like, ever, and I thought that was all we were gonna do, but..."

"But what?" I asked, trying to sound interested even though my mind was clouded with someone else.

"I sucked his dick," she whispered, as if the rest of the story was fine if her mom or David heard it, but this bit was just way too far.

"Jesus," I raised my eyebrows in shock. I didn't really know what to say, so I asked, "Was it big?"

"Average," I could hear the bed creak as she turned over. "What'd you do? Why were you outside with David?"

Darn. I had really thought we avoided that talk.

By the time David and I realized that Ester might be done with her little rendezvous and walked back to the party, she was done. She was very drunk, and sitting on a couch in the living room with John. She squealed when she saw me, and asked where I'd been, but at the time, she took outside with David for an answer. I thought I got lucky.

"I felt sick. I think it was because it was hot and smelled so bad," I told her the lie that I had formulated with David on our walk back to the house. "He wanted to make sure I didn't die. I don't know. We weren't out there for long."

"Did you puke?" she asked. She didn't seem the least bit suspicious. She bought it. She actually bought it. My shoulders relaxed and my head fell back into my pillow.

"No. I think I just needed fresh air. Me and weed do not mix very well."

"I'm proud of you. You're becoming a championship drinker. You haven't puked this whole trip," I could hear the smile in her voice. "Goodnight."

"Night."

Of course, I couldn't sleep all that well. Every time I closed my eyes, I pictured the moonlight reflecting off the waves and David's hands on my waist and his laugh when I told him about Ben falling down the stairs when we were little. It was hard to let go of such a perfect night by falling asleep.

The rest of the vacation was more of the same. We sat by the pool and snuck White Claws into our tumbler cups, talking to whatever cute boys we found and soaking up the sun.

Not to say the beach wasn't amazing, but by the time our plane had touched down in Chicago at three in the morning, I was more than ready to be home. I missed my own bed and my own shower and not being at least tipsy twenty-four-seven. My body needed a break, and my introverted mind did too.

The Dobriks dropped me off at my house so no one from my family would have to get up at four in the morning to come get me. David yanked my suitcase out of the back and told the family, "I'll bring it upstairs for her."

"Such a gentleman," Ester rolled her eyes, but she didn't say anything super negative about it, so I smiled at him and let him follow me into the house with it. He brought it upstairs and placed it gently on my floor.

"Thank you for carrying it, David," I smiled up at him. "You didn't have to."

"Mhm," he smirked, grabbing my hips and pulling ke until we were chest to chest. "You didn't think I'd let you leave me without a kiss goodbye, did you?"

"I don't know," I shrugged, trying to calm my blushing cheeks by acting casual. "I'll see you on Monday after school?"

"Of course," David leaned down and pressed a kiss to my lips. "Wouldn't miss it for the world, baby."

I tried something different???? Let me know what u think??? Idk i felt like it felt one sided bc honeys like super sweet but also shy and david just kind of talks but isnt super sweet so it sometimes seems like it doesnt like her but i feel like this helps

Vote and comment folks

Xoxo abby