nine

"I'm seriously so confused," Ester sat down in front of me at the lunch table, eyebrows furrowed, and I immediately cringed at her vague words. "Brandon Calvillo just asked me out."

"Like... on a date?" I raised my eyebrows, a smile slowly growing on my face. "Oh my gosh, Ester! You're going on a date! Oh my god, when? I have to get you ready. This is so exciting."

"You think he's cute?" she asked for reassurance.

I didn't, really, but she wanted me to, so I said, "Yeah, he's cute! I mean, he's not my type, but I think you guys would be cute together. Does David approve?"

"Well, it just happened two minutes ago, so David doesn't know yet," she reminded me, and I nodded. "He's nowhere near as crazy as Ben, though. I mean, Ben acts like you're his property. It's kind of crazy. If David doesn't have to see it, he doesn't have a problem with it."

"Ben is just protective of me," I told her with a sigh. "He goes a little overboard, but he doesn't want me getting hurt."

"I mean, I understand the whole don't touch my little sister thing, but Ben really means it."

"Well," I tried to find a way to defend my brother, but it was a little challenging considering he was, in fact, a little bit crazy. "Boys have used me in the past. I trust too easily, apparently. So Ben does the non-trusting for me."

"Eh," Ester shrugged like she didn't get the whole thing. "Anyway, you're coming over Friday, right? To help me get ready?"

"Oh, for sure. What are you doing? Where are you going?"

"He mentioned a pumpkin patch," she raised her eyebrows like she loved the idea. It was a cute, fall date. I was proud of Brandon for even thinking of that. "I'm excited. Maybe I'll have sex with him."

"On the first date?" my eyes nearly bugged out of my head. "Are you a virgin, Ester?"

She blushed a bit and said, "No. Are you?"

"Yeah," I replied with a nod. "Who'd you lose your virginity to?"

"It's a long story. His name was Jeff. He was David's friend. He ended up moving like a month after it happened."

"David wasn't mad?"

"David doesn't know," she sneakily grinned at me. "And he never will! Not that it matters anymore, since Jeff is gone, but... David still thinks I'm a little angel."

"Is that the only guy you've ever had sex with?"

"Yeah. And only that one time. I'm not actually going to have sex with Brandon. I do need to look my best though. I'll just take you home from school Friday?"

"Yes," I nodded. "That means I get to skip the game. I hate going. My mom is so obsessed with Ben's perfection, it's scary. She goes total soccer mom at the games, and I have to sit right next to her."

"Yay! Friday it is, then. Let's get lit."

And so Friday came, and I met Ester in the parking lot to get her ready for the big night. She drove us to her house, listening to her "pump up" music on the way, which consisted of Fergalicious and Obsessed.

"Should I curl or straighten my hair?"

"It's already straightened," I said.

"It's ugly," she sighed, picking at it. "I need to redo it. So straight or curly?"

"Straight," I told her, then continued my search through her wardrobe to find an acceptable fall outfit for her outing. Her bedroom door swung open, and I glanced over to see David smiling at me.

"God, do you ever knock? We could've been naked," Ester whined, comb stuck halfway through her hair. "What do you want?"

"Just seeing what all the commotions about," he smiled a little too cheesily. "Going to the football game?"

"Actually, I have a date," Ester wiggled her eyebrows at him, and he immediately turned his nose up.

"Ew. Who would want to take you on a date?"

"Brandon Calvillo."

"Double ew. What about you, Honey bun? Got any big plans for the evening?"

"Laying in my bed. Or Ester's. Haven't quite decided."

"What about mine?" he smirked, eyes lighting up with a devious look that meant nothing but trouble. My eyes nearly bugged out of my head at his words, and I wondered how he could even think saying that was okay when we were trying to keep our friendship a secret.

"Get the fuck out, douchebag!" Ester chunked a bottle of body spray towards him, and he laughed, shutting the door behind himself. "I'm so sorry about him, Honey. He just loves running his mouth."

"It's okay," I blushed heavily, trying my hardest to calm myself down and act natural. I finally decided to just change the subject. "What about this sweater with your ripped black jeans?"

"You're a genius, Honey Johnson. A complete genius."

We worked for an hour, fixing her makeup and hair to perfection and spraying her down with perfume until she smelled like a walking Bath and Body Works. "Do you want me to drive you home? Brandon's going to be here in ten minutes, so I think I could kind of get you home. Well, actually, do you have another ride?"

"I could call my mom to get me before she leaves for the game. I'll be fine. Come put this lip gloss on."

Brandon picked her up a few minutes later, and I sat alone all of thirty seconds before David was standing in her empty doorway, grinning at me.

"What are you doing in here all alone, when you could be in my room with me?"

"Why would you say that in front of Ester?" I sighed.

"I honestly think the joking will make her less suspicious."

"Suspicious of what?" I asked, feeling my hands immediately become clammy as I asked the question.

He looked at me, eyebrows raised, and said, "You know what."

"I don't," I frowned, picking at the blanket so I wouldn't have to look at him. He took this as an invitation to enter the room, sitting on the bed next to me. "I'm so confused."

"Honey," he grabbed my cheek and pulled my face towards him, so I was looking up at him. "You know what."

"David, I—"

And then he was leaning in, and we were kissing. Just like that.

And suddenly, I knew what.

Please vote and comment and let me know what u think

Its finals week and im two seconds from dropping out of college and hoping ppl on wattpad will venmo me for my sporadic and terrible writing

Xoxo abby