twenty six

"Do you hear that?" Ester raised her eyebrows, clicking a button to pause the Netflix movie we were watching. "What the fuck are they doing?"

Immediately, I began to panic. It was David and Ben upstairs screaming at each other, and my mind only went to one thing. Ben knew. Ben knew, and he was yelling at David, and Ester was about to know. Everything was minutes away from going to shit.

Usually when I overreacted, I was wrong. This time, I was right. It sucks that I was right.

"Let's go listen," Ester didn't hesitate to rise from her spot on the couch and quietly, but quickly, make her way up the stairs. I begrudgingly followed her, feeling too much stress and conflict in my brain to tell her no or try to stop her. This was it, I told myself. My life was fucking over.

At the top of the stairs, the words between the two boys were much clearer.

"I told you to stay the fuck away from her! How fucking hard is that?"

It surprised me that those words were leaving David's mouth, not Ben's. I was confused. Who the hell was he talking about?

"It's almost been a year, dude! Get the fuck over it! It's not my fault she wants me!" Ben yelled back, and it was now clear that they were referring to Liza. Maybe I was in the clear.

"I am over it! That doesn't mean I want you dating my fucking ex-girlfriend!"

They were in each other's faces now, and Ester sent me a panicked look. I could tell she wasn't sure if we should make our presence known and try to stop them, or let them hash it out on their own. She stayed silent, but took another step forward, so I did too.

"Jesus, find someone else to worry about," Ben shoved David away from him, and we both gasped, our hiding spots officially revealed.

"Honey, go the fuck back downstairs!" Ben yelled at me.

"No, let her stay," David smirked, but I had no clue what it meant. Ester and I had given up on hiding and instead entered the living room, ready to stop any type of fight that we could handle.

"You want her to see this? How crazy you are? Just because you're fucking lonely and miserable doesn't mean I should be."

I could tell that set something off in David by the way he seemed to calm down entirely. His face turned into a cocky smirk as he said, "Oh, you think I'm lonely? Maybe we should talk to your little sister about that. I'm sure she would disagree. She's keeping my bed warm every weekend."

"What?"

"What?"

Both Ben and Ester spoke at the same time. David had barely said anything and already, tears were begging to fall down my face.

"I've been fucking your little sister since November, Johnson. How does that fucking feel?"

"David, stop," I begged, hoping for any shred of humanity to halt him in his tracks, make him realize that this wasn't a game and he was actually fucking up my life.

"What is he talking about, Honey?" Ester asked, a look of disappointment on her face. It seemed to me that she already knew what he was talking about. I didn't have to answer.

Ben didn't get it so fast.

"Don't say shit about my sister," Ben slammed his hands into David's chest, pushing him back a couple of feet. It didn't wipe the smug look off David's face. "She's a fucking angel, and I don't appreciate you lying on her fucking name."

"You know, she is on her knees pretty often, but clearly not for the reason you think."

It was over. My life was over. Ben swung on David and landed one clean punch before I jumped in the middle, tears streaming down my face. "Ben, stop. Let's go. Please let's go."