Chapter 3: Self-Proclaimed Rival

Karmen: Sorry for taking so long to post! I've been way too active on other things! I hope you enjoy this chapter, and make sure to vote and comment!

A yellow portal appeared on the wall of a castle corridor as Kathryn came out of it, stepping into the dazzling hall before the portal she created vanished. She looked both ways of the hallway. After seeing no one around, relieved that no one was around.

"Ok, good, I managed to come back without running into—"

"Kathryn Adelaide Wang!" yelled an older woman's voice.

When Kathryn heard the woman's loud voice behind her, she groaned and rolled her eyes. She turns around to see an Asian woman in her early thirties.

The woman was none other than the Queen of Xagrus, Ying Yue Wang, also the mother of Princess Kathryn.

The Xagrian queen wore a vintage-styled red and gold gown with a royal fan collar. She looks at Kathryn shamefully, seeing the sixteen-year-old princess in 'commoner' attire.

"Where did you get these repulsive rags?" The queen questioned the princess.

Kathryn couldn't help but scoff at her mother. The queen is always so strict with the princess, having their servants watch over the teenage girl and ordering their guards to go off and look for her if she ever leaves the palace without anyone's knowledge. Even if she told her parents that she'd be leaving the palace, her mother would object or would sometimes have at least two-to-six guards to accompany Kathryn.

"These are what the people of our kingdom wear, mother, and I can wear whatever I want!" shouted Kathryn. "It's not like people will recognize me since all they see is the shiny tiara and the pretty gown." Kathryn looked away from her mother.

Queen Ying Yue was ready to scold her daughter even further but restrained herself. She cleared her throat and stood up straight, holding her hands together in front of her waist.

"Usually, our servants or knights would tell you this, but since I've found you first, I might as well tell you," the queen sighed before looking at Kathryn. "Noblewoman Freya Nightingale has come to visit you."

Kathryn's left eye twitched when she heard the name 'Freya Nightingale.' She groaned and shook her head at her mother before facing the wall and placing her hand on it as her eyes change from dark brown to yellow.

"I'm leaving," Kathryn says as she was about to create a portal until she heard footsteps running towards her.

"Kathryn!" Shouted a teenage girl with an elegant accent.

Kathryn turned her head to the voice as she made an annoyed expression when she saw the sixteen-year-old noblewoman with long snow-white hair in a princess braid and white skin. She has grayish-blue eyes and a face attractive enough to make a prince ask for her hand in marriage. The girl has a black pork pie hat with a white ribbon on her head and wore a gothic black and grey floral print long sleeve gown with heels which she seems to be struggling to rin with, almost slipping until she stopped right in front of the princess.

The girl took off her hat before enthusiastically pointing her finger at Kathryn, smiling brightly. "I, Freya Nightingale, challenge you to a duel!"

"I'll leave you with her; she is your guest after all," Kathryn's mother chuckled softly before walking away from the two teenage girls.

Kathryn growls at her mother leaving before looking at Freya. She has known this girl since they were little; about five-years-old to be precise. They've been to the same etiquette school for girls of royal blood and noble heritage. When they first met, Freya proclaimed herself to be Kathryn's rival, always trying to best her at everything they did at school.

But a noble could never beat a princess of their kingdom.

"Freya, how long are you gonna keep up with this?" Kathryn asked with an annoyed face.

"U-Until, I finally beat you, fair-and-square!" Freya announced. "I will prove to you that I am worthy of being on par with the Princess of Xagrus!"

Kathryn rolled her eyes before looking back at the noble girl, crossing her arms. "Fine, what's the game?"

Freya blushed a bit, pulled her arm away from Kathryn and stretched her arms down to her hips childishly.

"I-It's not a game; it's a challenge!" Freya cried out in embarrassment.

During their days in training school, Freya's challenges would always involve what they learned and what they were training for. When they finished school at the age of twelve-years-old, the white-haired girl would only challenge her to games like Old Maid or Rock, Paper, Clippers.

"Is it a game where you actually have a chance at winning?" Kathryn questioned.

"Of course, it is!" Freya shouts with determination, giving Kathryn a thumbs up.

The game later ended up being chess, and it ended the same way as the other challenges.

"Checkmate," Kathryn said monotonously.

Freya slammed her fists on the table where they were playing, knocking the chess pieces over with the force of her slam and looks at Kathryn with teary eyes and disbelief.

"No fair!" Freya whined. "You probably cheated! You used your powers to cheat!"

Kathryn giggles softly at Freya. Despite her being a nuisance with all these challenges, she doesn't hate her.

"I'm sure you're smart enough to have noticed a portal on the chessboard if I ever used my powers, right?" The princess asked with an amused smirk.

Freya moaned in defeat as she plants her face on the table, hiding her shame.

"Well, if you're done, I guess we're finished here," Kathryn chuckled as she stood up from her seat.

Freya pulled her head back up from the table and slammed her hands on the table. "No! We still have so much to do!"

Kathryn raised a brow at Freya. Even though she knew her for so long, the noble girl can be unpredictable sometimes.

"What else is there to do?" The princess of Xagrus asked the noble before her.

Freya had a determined smile on her face as she stands up from her seat as well. "We're going shopping!"