Chapter 28

Jamie's POV

I was nervous about what I was going to do tonight. My father was expecting me to show up to his office alone and with information that could ruin the Warrens. Bradley and I came up with a plan to have a briefcase filled with information but it would be fake documents. Bradley, being a lawyer is able to forge documents to make them look real. My father would have no idea that the documents were fake, I hoped he wouldn't.

I was a nervous wreck because I knew what my father was capable of. If he was able to blackmail his son at such a young age, why wouldn't he do it now? He would have no problem with doing worse to me. He killed his daughter and blackmailed his son, I don't think you need a bigger monster than that.

I wanted to get my mom out of it, but he was holding her hostage I'm sure. I never wanted my mother to get caught up in all this but knowing the kind of person that my dad was, he would use whatever he could against me. That was one of the reasons why I didn't want Mia to come with me and get herself involved in all this, because I know that he would use her against me.

He would use whatever he knew that I loved and cared about against me. It's what got me in this situation in the first place. How could a man that one thought was loving and a caring father, be so cruel and heartless. I was such a fool for ever protecting him and not turning him in when I had the chance to. 

I think that my punishment will be longer because I had all this information and didn't step forward with it. I was sure to get in big trouble for that. But I was wiling to do whatever the judge told me, because I have accepted my fate. I did the crime so I had to do the time as well.

Mia asked me to stay behind a bit so that she could see me off. I know that she was only trying to help me out but I wanted her here or in her office, safe and away from harm. The only way I can guarantee that she'll be fine is if I leave her here with Bradley. Over the couple of weeks that I have known Mia, I have fallen helplessly in love with her. I know I might sound like some kind of redundant airhead, but that was just the way I felt for her.

"You seem a little nervous." Bradley said walking into the room.

I was currently packing all the fake documents into a briefcase to take with me. Bradley was the only person next to Mia who can read me like a book. It was very annoying at times.

"I'm fine." I lied. We both know it's a lie anyway.

"You do know that I can see your hands shaking right? You're terrified right now." He stood beside me and placed his hand on my shoulder.

I hung my head for a bit, just thinking of an appropriate response. Bradley was right, I was terrified. I was terrified of what my father would do to me if he ever found out that the documents were fake. I was terrified of what would happen to my mom, I was terrified of the lengths that he would go to, to make my life miserable. 

But I was mostly terrified of him going after Mia and her family, and hurting the only thing that my heart found to love after he took my little sister away from me, and I wouldn't have been there to protect her.

"You know you don't have to do this right? You know I'd be willing to go instead." He said to me.

"You know I can't ask you to do that man." I replied.

"I never told you to ask me to do it brother. I'm saying I would do it without you asking me."

"Thanks Brad, but I got this. We're already in too deep with this, might as well finish it." I hugged him.

"What a sweet site this is. What are we hugging about?" Alyah burst into the room with the baby on her hips.

I took the baby from her hands and tickled him. His sweet little giggles filled the room and my heart hurt a little more. I would be spending a while behind the bars and I had a doubt that Mia would wait for me even if I asked her to. I won't ever know what it feels like to have a child of my own, to tickle him/her, play with him/her, cuddle, that kind of thing. It's just really sad.