Escape

3 YEARS LATER

Drip. Drip. Drip. Drip. Water leaked from somewhere to Natasha's left, but she didn't care. The only thing she cared about was seeing her daughter. Her little Viv. Natasha could only hope that she would see her daughter again. She knew Viviana was alive. She could hear Viviana's screams as they did god knows what to her. The worst part? Whenever they got bored and finally left Viviana alone, she would cry for her mother until she fell asleep. Knowing there was nothing she could do pushed Natasha to near insanity. Nothing mattered to Natasha anymore. Nothing except her. There wasn't anything to matter. There wasn't anything at all except for Drip.Drip.Drip.Drip.Drip.Drip. Dri- "Natalia,up. We need you to do something for us". Natasha only stared blankly at the woman she had come to loath. If Janice had cared to look, she would have seen the suffering held in her eyes. But, being hydra, Janice didn't care about much of anything except herself.
Growing impatient, Janice yanked Natasha to her feet and shoved her out the door. Once again, Janice led Natasha down the corridor and instead of stopping at the first door on the left, led her to the end of the hallway and entered a much larger room. Dividing the room was a two way mirror. Immediately she noticed Viviana on the other side and tried to call out for her. Unfortunately, the rooms were also apparently sound proof, meaning you had to have access to a headset to talk to a person in the other room.
This did nothing to calm Natasha's nerves. If anything, it only further infuriated her. 'Keep it together for Viviana. You almost have her' Natasha thought. "Alright" she said while crossing her arms "What do you want?". Janice smiled eerily. "You see, we have.... gifted Viviana with extraordinary talents. Unfortunately, the child simply won't cooperate when we ask her to display her powers. Now we have to resort to harming the child. Since she keeps screaming for you, we thought we'd bring you in to shut the child up." Natasha turned towards Janice and opened her mouth to question her, but Janice simply held up a hand to stop her. "Don't try anything. Consider it an.... experiment". Natasha's eyes hardened. "The first contact I get with my daughter in three years and you use it as an experiment?!"." Did you honestly believe we would let you see your daughter out of the kindness of our hearts? Of course not. We simply needed something from you.Nothing is free, after all." With those parting words Janice turned and entered the room, motioning for Natasha to wait. As soon as she was out of earshot, Natasha spoke. "I will be. I'm going to free myself and my daughter. I'd like to see you try to stop me".
Right then, Janice came back, seemingly not hearing any of Natasha's words. "Come" she said with a sinister smile. "Let's begin". Finally, Natasha walked through the door, only turning to look back at the sound of the door closing. Turning back the sight awaiting her made her smile. Her first smile in three years. Bucky was stroking Viviana's now shoulder length hair while she slept in his lap. When he heard her approach, he held a finger up to his lips then pointed to Viviana. Smiling even harder she walked in front of the two and crouched down to kiss Viviana's forehead. She brushed the hair off of Viviana's neck, which ,surprisingly, caused a whimper. Thankfully, Viviana had settled back to sleep but the whimper had not gone unnoticed. Stepping back she allowed her gaze to roam over Viviana's body, this time searching for injuries. Unfortunately, she found what she was looking for. On her neck was the cause of her whimper, an angry red burn, barely beginning to heal. Concerning as this was, this wasn't what infuriated her the most. It was the fact that the burn formed letters. The letters formed words. And those words formed a phrase that she vowed would never apply to her in her life. Three simple words, but three evil ones nonetheless. Property of Hydra.
"I'll kill them." She hissed under her breath. "Every last one of them". With this Natasha begin to breath heavier out of anger. She didn't even realize that she had begun to hyperventilate until Bucky placed his non-metal arm on her back as a soothing gesture. "Doll". When Natasha still didn't respond, he tried again "Nat". Finally, she looked up. " Look at me. That's it. Just calm down alright? Breathe doll, just breathe". "Calm? You're telling me to be calm? Didn't you see what they did to her? They branded her Buck. Branded her. And you're telling me to be ca-" Bucky cut her off by placing his hand over her mouth. "Nat, stop. Yes I saw it. I'm every bit as furious as you are. But getting angry won't change what happened. For Viviana's sake, let's enjoy this time with her. Especially today". He lowered his hand from Natasha's face allowing her to speak. She tilted her head in confusion. "What's today? ". Bucky smiled "April 18th, 2006. Viviana's Birthday."
Janice POV(probably the only time I'll do this)
"How cute. Its the child's birthday.". My assistant, Barbara, turned to look at me. "Its disgusting. Why are we allowing this?". I turned back to face her. "Its an experiment. I want to see if the comfort of the mother will trigger the child's abilities. Be a dear and give them the cake will you?" "The one with-" "Yes. Plan B. It should be in a box labeled 'if the original fails'. Cut a slice for the child. And don't forget the candles!". As Barbara scurried off, I turned back to the small tablet containing live video footage from the cameras in the room, smirking at the thought of what was to come.
Third Person POV
Knock knock knock. Barbara entered the room, carrying the cake slice as instructed. "Madam Sylmon wanted the child to have this cake slice". Natasha cautiously accepted the cake. "Thanks" she said, suspiciously eyeing the cake. When Barbara left, Natasha turned back to her conversation with Bucky."How did you know that?" Natasha asked. "Right after you gave birth to her, they put you under to......sterilize you." He began, shuddering at the word sterilize " They brought her to me. Wrapped around her ankle was a little ID tag(at this point Viviana slowly woke up and was quietly listening to her father speak.). It had the date on it. As for how I know today's date, well" he shrugged "I count the days here just like you do". "How did you know I- "I know you Nat. But enough about that. Let's sing to our daughter. One. Two. Three!"
*************************************************************************************
"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday Viviana. Happy birthday to you!" As Bucky and Natasha finished singing, Viviana excitedly blew out her candles. Given how tortuous it was not to be allowed contact with her daughter for 3 years, this felt like pure heaven compared to the hell of being without her child. She could still remember the endless days of agony without Viviana. Not knowing how long the moment would last due to the fact that there were guards outside the door right that second, and security cameras monitoring their every move, Natasha reveled in the little details she learned to appreciate. The feeling of Bucky's arms around her for example. Or the smile on her now 6 year old daughter's face as she eagerly shoved her slice of cake in her mouth. Bucky sighed, and Natasha turned towards him. "The little squirt's six now. Can you believe it?" "Yes I can Buck. Barely, but yes, I can." "This almost feels normal, you know. Celebrating our daughter's birthday. Worrying about who's gonna clean that mess off her face". Natasha laughed. "I'll do it, you big baby."
As she grabbed a clean cloth and wiped off Viviana's face, she was honestly surprised that the universe allowed her this intimate moment. If that could happen, nothing could surprise her.
Natasha wiped the last of the cake off of Viviana's face and began rubbing circles on her daughter's hands using her thumbs. As she was doing so, Natasha began to notice that her daughter's hands were warm. Hot, actually. Burning hot. "Ow!" Natasha yelled in surprise. "What?" Bucky asked. "I think," Natasha began, still unsure of what just happened, "I think that our daughter just burned me". Bucky gave Natasha a look of disbelief, until he saw Viviana's hands begin to glow bright red. The temperature in the room spiked. "Buck, what's going on?" "I don't know!". Unintentionally, Viviana began to release white hot flame onto the ceiling and walls, the flailing of her arms causing the fire to spread.
Thankfully, the fire alarm was triggered, causing the sprinklers in that room to go off. Due to the mix of smoke and water on the cameras, the cameras shorted. Viviana stopped spreading the fire just as suddenly as she had started it. "Nat" Bucky said softly, with a hint of sadness in his voice. "Take Viviana. Run. Get out of here. Most of the guards are patrolling the other side of the facility, and anyone left is going to be here to see why the alarm went off. The path to the exit will be clear". "But what about the guards in front of the door now?" Natasha asked. Bucky smirked. "Be creative". Suddenly, realization hit Natasha. "What about you?". "I'm staying here" "But Buck.." "Shhhh doll. It's okay. I promise, I'll find you. I will always find you". Gathering Viviana and grabbing her hand, Natasha threw open the door punching out the first guard she saw. Next to her, Viviana tilted her head and read her mothers mind in hopes of gaining clarity of why they had to leave. Seeing that the guards needed to be taken care of, Viviana simply focused on the remaining guards as she took control of their minds, twisting them until all they could do was clutch their heads and scream for her to stop. Eventually, she grew bored and lulled their minds into unconsciousness.
Natasha once again couldn't help but stare at her daughter, wondering how long Viviana could do these things and how she hadn't noticed. "I made them sleepy" Viviana giggled. Natasha slowly smiled cautiously as she crouched down to her daughter's level "We're getting ready to run. Do you think you could do that again if someone tries to stop us?" .Viviana looked at her mother with wide, curious eyes "Where are we going momma?". Natasha sighed as she took a final look around "Anywhere but here baby. Anywhere but here".

*************************************************************************************

After what seemed like an eternity of running, Natasha and Viviana were able to stop and rest under the shade of tall oak trees. Until they heard a man's voice. "Funny, Fury never said anything about a kid. But I'm not surprised. Fury doesn't tell me a lot of things." Reacting quickly Natasha spun and hooked her left leg behind the man's left knee, effectively bringing him down. Placing her leg on the strangers back, she pinned him down. "Who are you? And don't lie or I'll snap your leg". The stranger craned his neck to look at her. "Clint Barton. You can call me Clint. Now, if you don't mind, you're hurting me. Plus my quiver is kind of choking me in this position." Slowly letting Clint go, she backed away and stood protectively in front of her daughter. "What do you want?". "Up until six years ago, you had a massive kill streak. Like, hide your face, use a Katana, rage in tokyo level kill streak. I'm supposed to take you into custody to find out why you've gone silent". Seeing the way she tensed and stood closer to her daughter, Clint made a split second decision. "You know, this place doesn't exactly seem kid friendly. You ever heard of S.H.I.E.L.D?".

A/n so... I messed up. I realized I had her birthday as the wrong year. Sorry my lovelies. But I changed it to the correct year so we're good. (P.S it's currently 2004 in the story.)

Edit: turns out I still had the year wrong. It's 2006 in the story. Last time I change it I promise. Again, sorry.