Ceo's And Bodyguards and Iron Men, Oh My!

Viviana's Point of View

Stark tower is Nice. Really nice. Almost all of the windows are made of glass, adding an extra layer of shimmer. Near the top, the word "Stark" is spelled out in large letters. Seems ostentatious, but I guess if you can afford a building with your name on it, why not show off a little? Or, in Mr. Stark's Case, a lot. Oh, God, I'm meeting Tony Stark. Anthony stark.

Gee, fangirl much?

Only when meeting rich people.

You're such a dork.

You realize you're me, right?

Minor detail.

I hardly notice when the car we're in stops. The next five minutes pass in a flurry of activity as we go through the front desk, security, and finally get whisked into an elevator. As we exit the elevator we are greeted by a woman named Pepper. Her hair is strawberry blond, with blue eyes to accompany it. We shake hands, then introduce ourselves. I smile when Pepper expresses her enthusiasm at my desire to intern for Stark industries. After walking down a short hallway, Pepper turns to us. "I'll announce your arrival to Mr. Stark, then feel free to come in.". She then walks away.

I rock back and forth on my heels as I wait. After what feels like years (but is really only ten seconds) I hear our arrival announced. "The notary and intern are here! Can you please come sign the transfer paperwork and meet your prospective intern?". Tony's voice calls back. "I'm on Happy time. Also, meeting interns is the CEO's job, not mine.".

Guess you won't get to meet the famous Tony Stark.

Shut up.

My mother and I exit the hallway. While she immediately rejoins Pepper, I take the time to observe my surroundings. The first thing I notice is that this room seems to be a miniature boxing center complete with weights. Strength could be useful on the team if he knows how to fight. I make a mental note of this as I continue to look around and-

Holy crap, is that a beach outside?

When I'm done staring at the beach, I notice Tony and another Man who I presume to be happy staring at my mother. I smirk to myself, my suspicions confirmed when I notice the men's expressions. It's Pepper who breaks the silence as she says "I promise this is the only time I will ask you to sign over your company". I laugh quietly at this, appreciating Pepper's humor. The men continue to fight until a loud clang is heard as Happy stumbles back. Tony turns to face us, pointing at my mom. "What's your name lady?". "Rushman, Natalie Rushman". I frown slightly. I had hoped he would at least introduce himself professionally if he didn't want to meet me just for the sake of it. Pepper, looking up and noticing my dejected expression, makes a point to introduce me.

" And this is the special intern I've been telling you about. Say hello." Tony looks in my direction briefly before turning back to Pepper. " I thought you said the prospective intern was here? Who's the kid?" "This is the intern. Victoria Robinson". This seems to get Tony's attention as he looks back at me curiously. "The kid genius? I think I know a thing or two about those. Hi". I smile shyly while he addresses my mother again. "Front and center. Come into the church". Pepper begins to object ."No. You're seriously not gonna ask her...". Tony speaks again. "If it pleases the court, which it does". Pepper begins to apologize to my mother. "I'm sorry, he's very eccentric". My mother, calm like always responds. "It's no problem". No problem indeed. Oh, if only they knew.

As my mom enters the ring, I notice the things only someone trained in the way we were would notice. The subtle body language she uses to captivate Tony's attention. The way she plays with the emotion in her eyes as a show of interest in him. The falsely flirtatious smile she gives Tony. Afterward, he speaks to Happy. "Can you give her a lesson?". "No problem" Inwardly, I snigger at Happy's confidence. This ought to be fun. Knowing full well what my mother is capable of, I go to stand a little ways behind Pepper while Tony sits next to her. I pretend to review the new intern's information packet while Tony and Pepper start a conversation.

"Who is she?" Tony asks, glancing at my mother. Pepper, obviously sensing the flirtation from Tony's end, responds. "She's from legal. And she is potentially a very expensive sexual harassment lawsuit if you keep ogling her like that". "Uh huh, what about the kid? Victoria?" "Child Prodigy. I hear she graduated from Harvard last year". Excuse me, I did what? "Yeah I want to talk to her. Tell her she's hired by the way. In the meantime, I need a new assistant boss". "Yes, and I've got three excellent potential candidates. They're lined up and ready to meet you". The two continue going back and forth, so I switch my focus to watching my mother and Happy in the ring.

Happy, clearly smug, begins a conversation with my mom. "You ever boxed before?". "I have, yes". Oh, she's boxed alright. And mastered Judo. And taekwondo, to name a few. Happy, unfortunately, doesn't know this so he makes the mistake of underestimating her. "What, like, Tae Bo? Booty Boot Camp? Crunch? Something like that?". My mother, understandably annoyed, glances at Tony when he calls her. "How do you spell your name Natalie?". "R-u-s-h-m-a-n". Pepper, once again trying(and failing) to rear in Tony, says "What, are you gonna google her now?". To which he sarcastically replies "I thought I was ogling her". Oh, Tony. I think we'll get along just fine.

Tony, looking through "Natalie's" file, remarks. "Wow. Very, very impressive individual". "You're so predictable, you know that?". Poor Pepper. Must be exhausting to put up with Tony's "eccentricness", as she calls it. " She's fluent in French, Italian, Russian, Latin. Who speaks Latin?". Well I do, but he can't know that. "No one speaks Latin. It's a dead language. You can read Latin or you can write Latin, but you can't speak Latin". Tony, either ignoring or not acknowledging Pepper's statement, asks "Did you model in Tokyo? 'Cause she modeled in Tokyo". "Well...". "I need her. She's got everything that I need".

The two go to begin another argument, but are interrupted by the sound of Happy crashing into the mat. That's my mom, folks. After checking on Happy, my mother leaves the ring to approach Tony. "I need your impression". "You have a quiet reserve. I don't know, you have an old soul". Smooth, Tony. Smooth. "I meant your fingerprint". I catch my mom's eye and we both smile. Glad to see she's as amused as I am. Pepper walks up to the four of us. "So, how are we doing?". "Great. Just wrapping up here. Hey. You're the boss". He smiles at Pepper. My mother looks up. "Will that be all, Mr. Stark?". "No." "Yes, that will be all, Ms Rushman. Thank you very much". Is that jealousy I hear? I chuckle as I turn to go. Before I leave, I hear Tony. "Hey Kid!". Crap. He heard me.Mission abort! Mission abort! Well, here goes nothing. "Yes Mr. Stark?". When I turn back, I expect for him to make a sarcastic remark of some sort. Instead, he simply says "you're Hired". I can't help but grin. "Thank you Mr. Stark!". I practically sprint towards the door. Just before they're out of earshot, I Hear Tony speak again. "I want one". "No". I laugh as I join my mom in the hall.

 I laugh as I join my mom in the hall

Signoff gif by -obiwankenobi