Brave New World

Viviana's Point Of View

Beep Beep. Beep Beep. Beeeee-

Groaning, I turn on my side to shut off the alarm. My hand completely misses the button due to the fact that I refuse to open my eyes yet. After three tries of hitting the side of the table, I give up. "Mom! Shut off the alarm!"

I get no response.

"Mom?"

No response again.

Sighing, I steel myself against the nettlesome light and sit up. I finally hit the button on the clock. "Thanks mom!"

I roll my eyes, annoyed. Guess I'm being ignored.

Snap, crack, pop. I stretch, and my body reacts as if it hadn't been used in decades rather than a couple of hours.

I walk into the bathroom of our hotel room, rehearsing how I'm going to chew out my mother. "I know you have to get ready for the big mission but you could have at least answered!"

Unfortunately, my well planned speech never reaches her. I get to the sink, only to find no one there.

Our hotel room was empty. I was alone. The last time I was left alone...

Mama never came to see me anymore. Daddy used to stay with me, but they took him away yesterday. Why did they take him away? Did he want to go away? Did my parents not love me anymore? Was I a bad girl?
I want my mommy. Upset, I start to cry for her until the man walks in. The man doesn't like tears. He says it ruins the fun of causing the tears himself. Less tears, more giving me answers, he says.

"Now Vi-"

"Viviana."

"Pardon?"

My face turns bright red. "Viviana. Only mommy and daddy can call me Vi."

The man rolls his eyes, exasperated. "Well Viviana, today we're going to play a game. Would you like that?"

Games were fun. Games meant no one was mean to me. Games meant no one hurt me.

I smile innocently. The man also smiles, but it comes off as cruel. My heart sank.

"Good. Then let's play."

My breathing becomes more and more labored. Eventually, I can't breathe at all. My heartbeat echoes loudly. All I can hear are heavy thumps crashing against my skull-

-The Man's fist crashes against my skull.

"Stop! Please!" The Man steps forward, wiping my blood off of his sleeve. He forces my chin upward. I whimper and try to pull back to no avail.

"Stay still," he growls when I thrash around.

The Man pulls out a steel stamp, placing it on my neck. I scream, but no sound comes out. All I can feel is the singeing hot pain exploding my senses, and I thrash around even harder.

The Man's grip on my throat tightened, immobilizing me. "Not so fast, Viviana."

My eyes screw shut, and I'm relieved to find the pain becoming more bearable.

"Now you're property of Hydra," The Man cackles, finally letting go of my neck.

I ran as far as I could. The Man could've easily caught up to me if he tried, but he didn't. All he did was laugh, watching me run away terrified, and walked away. For once, I felt relieved when I reached my cell. It may have been filthy, but It was all I had.