10|| One Big Happy Family

The air had gotten significantly colder since Sophie had last stepped outside. The chilled wind blew the blonde hair from her shoulders and goosebumps rose across her skin.

At least the roof was peaceful. It was tall enough that the sounds of traffic was muffled and only the wail of sirens seemed to reach her ears.

Sophie crossed her arms over her chest to keep out the chilly wind. She walked quietly across the gravel roof to Rachel.

She seemed lost in thought. Mindlessly watching the speckled doves as they cooed and flapped around.

"You ok?" Sophie asked softly.

Rachel's eyes fell from the cage to the cement rooftop and slowly she shook her head. Sophie hated seeing that blank expression on her face. It was just a mask to stop the world from seeing the anger and sadness she felt.

"You have every right to be mad at him." Sophie said, "He's never been great at sticking around."

"He left you too." Rachel whispered, her words somewhere between a question and a statement.

She sighed, her eyes falling to the chirping birds. She wanted to be mad at Dick, but she knew he had no idea what to do. Especially when it came to kids. The only lives he ever had to watch out for were his teammates and his own.

But leaving Rachel like this, no matter the reason, was pathetic. She deserved better than what Sophie got.

Sophie looked back at Rachel and forced a small smile. "Even if he does leave, you'll have me. I promise."

Rachel looked up at Sophie with sad eyes. "Why would you stay? You don't even know me."

"Yeah, but I believe that there's good in everyone, and that someone needs to protect it." Sophie said solemnly. "Besides, I'm not the kind of asshole who leaves a kid by herself."

For a brief second Rachel's lips twitched up into a smile before the door to the roof clanked open. Sophie glanced over her shoulder, her eyes narrowing at the sight of Dick. His tense shoulders relaxed once he spotted the two.

"They're up here?" He called down to Hank and Dawn. "What are you two doing up here?"

Sophie turned her attention back to Rachel. "I'll let you two talk."

Rachel nodded and Sophie reluctantly walked away. She caught Dick's gaze as she walked past him. His lips parted as if to say something, but whatever it was, it never left his mouth.

She walked over to the bench near the roof's door and peered down at the endless city.

Dick's boots crunch against the gravel as he walked over to Rachel. The sound of his voice carried through the silence but Sophie tried her best not to listen.

A sadistic part of her wanted to watch him dig himself a grave, but she also knew It wasn't her place to get involved. Even if she did want to smack him upside the head.

The old hinges of the metal door whined as the door was pushed open. Sophie glanced over, her eyes landing on Hank and Dawn. They both looked over at her before turning their attention to Dick and Rachel.

"You must lie a lot," Rachel spoke a little louder, "You're good at it."

"What's she talking about?" Hank spoke with that familiar growl in his voice.

Sophie sighed as she turned around to face the others. As much as she wanted to stay out of all of this, she knew she couldn't.

Rachel turned away from Dick and walked over to Hank and Dawn. Her expression was cold as she jutted the envelope towards Hank.

"Hank, don't read that." Dick huffed and jogged over to the group.

"It's got my name on it." He took the note from Rachel and opened it. His eyes darting across the crinkled white paper.

Dick fell silent, his jaw tightening with his growing stress. His eyes darted over to Sophie. He didn't have to say a word for her to know what was going on inside his head. He was silently asking her to understand that he was trying his best. Even if his best wasn't the greatest.

She forced the corner of her lips upwards in a weak attempt to reassure him. His eyes softened, for a second he wasn't thinking about the hole he had dug himself into.

"What the fuck." Hank muttered, and just like that all attention was back on the situation at hand. Hank looked up from the letter and scoffed. "You were gonna leave her here? You were gonna pay us?"

"It's not that simple." Dick muttered.

Rachel turned her back on the others and walked over to the bird cage. She was silent, just watching the birds. She was still and emotionless. Sophie knew she was upset but Rachel wasn't the kind of girl to let herself cry in front of others.

Dick huffed, turning away from Hank and Dawn to get away from the impending argument. He walked over to Rachel and began talking in a hushed tone. But every word seemed to bounce right off of her.

Rachel breathed deeply and placed her hand over Dick's. She stayed still for a moment before she brushed his hand off of her shoulder. "Liar. You were never coming back for me."

That was all Sophie heard from Rachel and Dick's argument. The peaceful quiet of the roof was quickly disappearing.

"Well, hello there you five." A sickeningly sweet voice caught everyone's attention. Sophie's eyes snapped towards the woman who spoke and she paused.

A family of four stood near the roof's entrance. They all had dead smiles on their faces and soulless eyes. They were dressed in pompous looking outfits that reminded her of "the american dream".

Hank looked over his shoulder at Sophie and the other, and raised a brow. "Who the fuck are these guys?" He asked and began walking towards the family.

The mother stepped aside and the father quickly walked forwards. He kicked Hank hard in the stomach, sending him flying onto the rough ground.

Sophie's eyes widened and her attention snapped over to Rachel and Dick. "Protect her."

Dick nodded. He grabbed Rachel by the hand and pulled her towards cover.

Gravel crunched under quick feet. Sophie closed her hands into fists, feeling a tingling energy shoot through her nervous system. Colorful light seeped between her fingers before she spun around to meet her attacker.

Her body moved on instinct, dodging a hard wooden baseball bat that was swung towards her head.

A quick breath left her lips before she struck.