14|| Welcome To Gotham

Sophie had never been a church girl. In Gotham it was hard for her to believe in any kind of God. Especially when so much evil plagued the streets.

Her mother tried to be a good catholic, she prayed at church, wore a cross around her neck. She wanted to believe in a greater good but Sophie never could. Her lack of belief was set in stone the day her mother died.

She closed her eyes and breathed in the fresh air from the woods just behind the church. It was calming, and a lot quieter then the busy cities she was used to.

A part of her wondered what would have happened to Rachel if she had grown up here. It seemed nice, and she clearly felt safer inside of the church then she did out of it. Sophie sighed and glanced down at the cold stone stoop.

A ring cut through the silence, startling her out of her thoughts. She quickly fished her phone out of her pocket before she answered the call. "Hey. I was going to call you but things got complicated."

"Yeah, I heard about Dawn." Barbara spoke sympathetically. "But this isn't about that. Soph, I think I got a lead."

Sophie's ears perked and her body stiffened. "What is it?"

"I went down to the Gotham precinct and dug around their files. You were right about someone cleaning up Ms. Cooper's record. Turns out a few years back she was almost disbarred for taking a bribe to change a man's sentence."

"Alright, so what's the plan?" Sophie asked as she rose to her feet. She was growing antsy with anticipation. This was their first real lead. It meant that they were one step closer to throwing the Mutationist back in prison.

"I need you back in Gotham." Barbara said.

"I'm still stuck helping Dick. I don't know when i'll have the chance to get back to Gotham." She ran a hand through her hair. Her gaze drifting to the wooden doors that lead into the convent.

"Sophie I need you here." Barbara urged. "This information proves that Susanna's not so clean. If she confesses to letting him out illegally we can get the Mutationist put in prison for good. And I can't follow it without you, it'd be wrong."

"I know." Sophie bit down on her bottom lip.

She had promised she would keep Rachel safe, but she was safe now. She had Dick, and it seemed like Kori had taken a liking to Rachel. But if something happened well she was gone, Sophie would be pissed at herself for days.

She groaned and tossed her head back. "Alright," she gave in, "I'll be there around five."

"I'll meet you at my apartment." Barbara said. Sophie could almost hear her smiling.

"See you soon." She hung up. She bounded up the steps of the convent and pulled open the large wooden door.

She was greeted by a gust of warm air and the smell of melting candle wax. The old door squeaked shut behind her as she walked down the halls to the church. Dick was standing outside of the church doors. He was staring off into the distance, clearly lost in thought.

"Hey. How is she?" She asked.

He snapped out of his thoughts and looked over at her. "She needs a minute."

Sophie nodded more to herself than him. Her stomach tightened and her gaze turned to the church doors. She knew she should say goodbye but she also knew Rachel would ask questions that she couldn't answer. And one way or another Rachel would start asking Dick about it and that would just lead to more problems for Sophie.

"Hey." Sophie met Dick's gaze again. "I'm going to grab some food, can I borrow the car?"

Dick barely batted an eye as he grabbed his car keys from his jacket pocket and tossed them to her. "Be quick."