Chapter Twenty Three

I wake up slowly, and the sun is streaming through the window in a way that tells me it will be a beautiful day. Where am I? Matthew lays next to me asleep, his arm around me. My sweatshirt is on the floor, and I slide closer to Matthew because I’m cold. I glance at the clock. 10:16.

            Oh no. Oh no.

            “Matthew!” I say, shaking him.

            “Huh?” he mumbles sleepily.

            “It’s ten o’ clock! Get up get up get up!

            Matthew sits up quickly. “Ten?

            “Get up!” I yell.

            “Keep it down! People will hear you!” he whispers harshly. “Out the window,” he says.

            “Aren’t you coming with me?” I ask sadly.

            He takes a deep breath, obviously annoyed that I asked. “Of course I am,” he says.

            “If you don’t want to, you don’t have to.”

            “I’m coming with you. Sorry. I’m exhausted and a little out of focus right now.”

            I grab my sweatshirt off the floor and pull it on. “Thanks for letting me stay with you,” I say.

            “My door’s always open,” he says. “Ready?”

            “Yeah, let’s go,” I answer. Ten minutes later I’m at my house, Matthew at my side. We walk over to Liz’s window.

            “Be safe,” he says before kissing me.

            “I will. See you tonight.”

            “See you tonight.”

            He walks away and disappears down the street. I knock on Liz’s window. She runs over and slides it open.

            “Where the hell have you been?” she demands.

            “I overslept. Let me in,” I say. She pulls me through.

            “Is Mike up yet?” I ask.

            “I don’t think so,” she says. “Go up to your room before anyone sees you so they think you’re just waking up.”

            “Okay,” I say. I run upstairs and into my room, closing the door behind me quietly. When I do, Mike opens his eyes and stares at me.

            “Hello,” he says.

            I don’t respond.

            He stands up and walks towards me, and I start to back away but he grabs my wrist.

            “Stop,” he commands. I try to pull my arm away, but I’m not strong enough. He tightens his grip and I gasp from the pain.

            “Let go of me,” I beg.

            “No.”

            “Please, you’re hurting me,” I whine, still trying to get free.

            “You and I are going to have a little chat,” he says. “Sit.”

            “I don’t want to sit,” I say sternly. Matthew said that he wants me because I don’t fight back. Maybe that’s exactly what I should do.