Chapter Forty Five

“What is this about?” I ask nervously from the backseat of the police car.

            “I can’t discuss that right now,” Tim says.

            “Am I in trouble?”

            “I don’t know.”

            I stare out the window and think back to what Cody said about the person from his parent’s Circle. I’m definitely in trouble.

            “Hey, Drake! I have Alexandra Carters,” Tim shouts when we walk into the police station.

            Another officer walks out from the back of the building with a pair of handcuffs and stops in front of me. “Wrists, please,” he says.

            “Why do I need handcuffs? I’m not resisting,” I say frantically.

            “Wrists, please,” he repeats.

            I reluctantly hold out my hands and feel the cold steel against my skin.

            “This way, Alex,” Tim says, leading me into an ominous room in the back. I sit down at a table, and the two officers sit across from me. Mike sits handcuffed in a corner, concealed by a shadow. A dark wall of various tools and objects I don’t recognize is behind me. I shudder.

            “Michael has told us that you have been in a relationship with a boy from another Circle. Is that true?” Drake asks me.

            “No, he made it up,” I say flatly.

            Drake rolls his eyes. “I don’t think he did.”

            I take a deep breath. “I only know people from my Circle and my parent’s Circle. I have never interacted with anyone from any other Circle before, nor will I ever,” I try to say confidently.

            Drake leans across the table. “What if I said I had proof?”

            “You don’t,” I say matter-of-factly.

            “Alex, the only way we can help you is if you tell us what’s going on,” Tim says quietly.

            I don’t respond.

            “I don’t have time for this,” Drake says, throwing his hands in the air. “Get him out of here,” he says to Tim of Mike.

            “I don’t get to watch?” Mike asks.

            “Be quiet,” Tim says to him as he stands him up.

            “Watch what?” I ask, getting scared.

            “Shut up,” Drake says to me.

            Tim takes Mike out of the room and returns a minute later. He locks the door behind him.

            “What’s going on?” I ask nervously. “What’s going to happen?”

            Drake smiles. “I guess you’ll have to find out. Get on the table.”

            “On the table?”

            “Yes, stop wasting time,” Tim says. “Just lay down.”

            “But-”